Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Band Clamps, Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 04:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Band Clamps, Bad Idea?

Curious, the search only brings back posts about how band clamps were included when someone bought some headers. Below you can see the setup I want to do. I plan to do this all myself when I get back from Iraq. Now would it be.....smarter(?) to do the install with the use of band clamps or do the majority of the install and take it to get it welded up? I plan on later install some transmission goodies and don't want to have to cut my Y-pipe everytime I want to install somethign to the driveline. I had the band clamps like the ones on Speed Inc. in mind. Does anyone recommend against this, or should I rock and roll on? Thanks for any information guys, as usual. And no thanks on Kook's or QTP's for those who like to advertise the parts they use. Call me a black sheep of the LS1Tech forum.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Jet Hot headers. I could not get them to stop leaking completely with band clamps. I eventually had flanges welded on. It made it alot easier when I pulled my heads off last month. I have true duals and all I had to do was just remove 6 bolts and let it drop down rather having to remove the whole exhaust in order to slide it off the headers.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Steve, I'll keep that in mind. Paris, TX. hunh? I'm from the Longview area.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

I've always used band clamps on my set up and it depends on which ones you buy. I found that the ones the local autoparts stores have will leak alittle at the joint and you cannot reuse them. However, I bought some Walker clamps from Jeg's sold under the Dynomax name and they come with this black goo on the joint that seals them up real good. I've also heard of people putting alot of RTV on the joint before they assemble them, I havn't tried that though. Flanges aren't a bad idea though, I'm on my 4th exhaust set up so that's the only reason I never really looked into doing it.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

What's up Andrew long time no see. I see the Camaro is looking fine as ever. Finally got a site up about my, wait, I already told you that. Thanks for the info Andrew, I'll have to look around for those. I'd rather do it all myself, I just don't trust the mechanics out there. Plus I plan on taking a month off when I get back to the states and this will gimme something to do.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

i use band clamps with no prob with my setup
Old 03-26-2005, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
same here
Old 03-26-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I prefer ball flanges.. No gaskets, no leaks and simple..
Old 03-26-2005, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flipper
I prefer ball flanges.. No gaskets, no leaks and simple..
I wonder why more exhaust systems come with these. $$$$$?
Old 03-26-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sscam68
I wonder why more exhaust systems come with these. $$$$$?
Probably but well worth it..
Old 03-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Launching!

My clamps on my jet hots work pretty well! Have no loud leaks anyway pretty queit to me around where is slipps togeter!
Old 03-26-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Deamon2002
What's up Andrew long time no see. I see the Camaro is looking fine as ever. Finally got a site up about my, wait, I already told you that. Thanks for the info Andrew, I'll have to look around for those. I'd rather do it all myself, I just don't trust the mechanics out there. Plus I plan on taking a month off when I get back to the states and this will gimme something to do.
Hey, Dustin took me a minute to put 2 & 2 togethor. I don't think I ever got your screen name. I hear you about mechanics, I'd rather do everything on my back in my driveway. When do you get to come home?
Old 03-26-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man I'm probably going to take an R&R in June, but I don't think I'm going home. I may take it in another country. But I finally get to come home for good in February next year. Seems like a long time, but I've already been here 14 months. 10 months seems like a drop in the bucket. Hell by the time I get home and get my headers on my car will be antique and maybe GM will finally get a clue and make a late 06, early 07 camaro with an LS2. But back on topic, thanks for all your input, I'll probably get the band clamps like GM Muscle described. Those sound right up my alley, thanks everyone.

Last edited by Deamon2002; 03-27-2005 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
I've always used band clamps on my set up and it depends on which ones you buy. I found that the ones the local autoparts stores have will leak alittle at the joint and you cannot reuse them. However, I bought some Walker clamps from Jeg's sold under the Dynomax name and they come with this black goo on the joint that seals them up real good. I've also heard of people putting alot of RTV on the joint before they assemble them, I havn't tried that though. Flanges aren't a bad idea though, I'm on my 4th exhaust set up so that's the only reason I never really looked into doing it.

This man speaks the truth If you are stuck having to use band clamps, the Walker/Dynomax ones are the only way to go. All the others I've seen are crap
Old 03-27-2005, 12:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Tork Tight from NAPA Auto parts
Old 03-27-2005, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Deamon2002
Man I'm probably going to take an R&R in June, but I don't think I'm going home. I may take it in another country. But I finally get to come home for good in February next year. Seems like a long time, but I've already been here 14 months. 10 months seems like a drop in the bucket. Hell by the time I get home and get my headers on my car will be antique and maybe GM will finally get a clue and make a late 06, early 07 camaro with an LS2. But back on topic, thanks for all your input, I'll probably get the band clamps like GM Muscle described. Those sound right up my alley, thanks everyone.
I just double checked and Summit sells them not Jeg's.

That sucks you don't get to come home much. Hopefully you make enough to kickass and retire early.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Im using cheap Autozone band clamps on my Jet-Hots and TD's, and they do leak a little bit, I need to get better clamps.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oange ss
Tork Tight from NAPA Auto parts
These are decent clamps, I have used them and they worked well..
Old 03-27-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah hopefully I can get out of here with some good money. Next up is purchasing a house, which is a head ache in and of itself. But hey I have to have some place to install my new parts and store the factory ones, heh heh! I'll look in my Summit magazine Andrew, unfortunately it's from last year, I tend to forget my mail when I go home. Good thing is it's nice and broke in, no sharp edges on any of the pages! Man I can't wait to get home, I am going to have such a blast. Hopefully next February it will be pretty good T-top weather in Texas!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Same here, dynomax and napa's torq tite are made by the same people and both are a quality clamp.