Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximizing cam only setup (T-ReX), wanting 2 upgrade intake system, have some ?s.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 05:22 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Maximizing cam only setup (T-ReX), wanting 2 upgrade intake system, have some ?s.

My current setup consists of a Texas Speed & Perfomance lid (smaller size, not sure what mm), descreened factory MAF, SLP high flow bellow, ported & polished factory throttle body, and LS6 intake mainfold. I just curently installed the T-ReX camshaft. The car now puts down 398 rwhp through a fully built 200-R4, Yank PT4400 unlocked, Strange 12 bolt w/a 4.10, and slicks. Back when the car was a 6 speed, many mods ago, and the C2 cam (224/.581/112), it put down 417 rwhp. Now with the current mods, weight reduction, etc. I would imagine if it was still a 6 speed it would put down close to 450 rwhp if not more. The car still has stock heads by the way. Anyhow, I'm trying to maximize my cam only setup and squeeze every last bit of HP out of it so that I can run the numbers. I'm aware that this is a costly upgrade, but when you have done all that you can for a cam only setup, this is your last resort. Well Im thinking of doing a 90mm setup and I have some questions. First off, I came across the BBK 90mm intake...is that something to consider or just stick with the FAST? That question didnt even exist until I ran into the BBK product. Anyhow, Ive run into a few threads saying not to get the matching FAST 90mm throttle body, that it sucks, etc. is this true, did a bad batch go out, or is it something I should consider buying? If not, whats the best matching throttle body to get? I dont mind spending the money because this is already a big chunk of change, so I wanna do it right the first time. Next...since this is a bigger setup, what about the bellow, MAF, and lid? I would imagine that all 3 needed to be upped in size as well. I havent come across one, but do they make 90mm bellows, lids, and MAFs? If so, who and where? If not, what are my options? Again, I know this is going to be a pricey upgrade, but Im wanting to maximize my cam only setup to obtain maximum power and hopefully shoot for the record ET. I dont expect to beat it, but its worth a shot. Its not even about that anyway, I would like to do this as it will be a nice mod for a big cam and even better when I get even more serious with the car. If there is anything else I will need to upgrade my intake system, please inform me. I wanna make sure I have everything when I do purchase and install these parts. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:14 PM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

might wanna summarize, its a lot to read lol
Old 04-05-2005, 01:12 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

90mm intake, NW 90mm TB, 85mm lid, 85mm MAF. i believe tsp sells the 85mm lid.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
90mm intake, NW 90mm TB, 85mm lid, 85mm MAF. i believe tsp sells the 85mm lid.
I haven't heard that the 85mm lids are available yet. I believe its been about 7-8 months since they've had them, but they say they are coming soon. I lucked out and got one from that guy who was selling a bunch of blemished lids.
That being said, I really don't think the lid/MAF make much of a difference at all. I beleive Jason tested it and the 85mm MAF made a 1.5rwhp diff. The lid may help a little more, but I don't imagine it'd be much. I'd worry about getting the FAST 90mm intake, having it port matched, and going with a NW 90mm or TPIS 90mm TB.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:02 PM
9 Second Club NA

The FAST 90mm intake manifold seems to be the choice over anything. I havent read too much on the BBK, but I think I'll just stick with the FAST. Now its a toss up between the TPIS and NW TB. I've been told both are good products, but for the price, the NW is hard to beat. $419 with no exchange vs. $475 w/your factory TB. I talked to Trevor earlier and he said they had the 85mm lids at one time, but they recently changed manufacturers and it will be a couple weeks before they have more 85mm lids. He was telling me they've had the best luck with the 85mm Granatelli MAFs. So far, I'm set on the NW TB, FAST 90mm intake manifold, and I'm gonna hold out for the lid, but the only 2 things I need to decide on is which MAF to get and what bellow. I had a MAF issue a while back and I certainly dont want to run into that again. I started out with the Granatelli, but everyone was telling me to get rid of it, I did some research on them and basically it boils down to it being a product thats either a hit or miss and isnt really recommended. So I then went with the 02-up descreened ZO6 MAF which is uncalibrated for LS1s and I was going to have it tuned for my car, but my tuner wouldnt do it as it was much trouble than its worth. So I ended up back with a stock MAF. So I wanna make sure I go with the right MAF this time. Lastly, I need to get the right bellow to connect this system and I'll be set. Thanks everyone for the help so far, hope to knock this out soon.