Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Air Condition

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with Air Condition

I was having trouble searching a key word of "AC" so maybe you guys can help me trouble shoot or search this topic.

Anyhow, I've got a slow leak in the AC system - that I'm sure of. Just gradually didn't cool as good until finally, it doesn't cool at all. I can recharge the system and maybe get through the summer, but I'd rather fix it.

So how do I find a leak in the system? I figured I could presurize the system with air, then use the soapy water trick till I see bubles. I'm not sure how much pressure is needed to do this though.

I could take it to a shop, but money is tight. The more labor I do my self, the better.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

i heard that on the labor thing....but they do a leak test with certain fluid....i dunno about the soapy water trick as that may cause more damage to ur AC lines...see if u cant o to ur local autostore and ask about it
Old 04-23-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

hadn't thought of that. last thing I wanted to do was drop a thousand bucks into the AC system.... but summer is coming
Old 04-23-2005, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

lol it wouldnt cost that much....and ill be honest with u i live in SC and i dont use my AC unless there is a girl in the car or if its 85+....thats just me....with my mods....AC and gas dont get along
Old 04-23-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

buy a can of leak tester it usually comes in a kit form. if not buy two cans of r134 with it run the car and put the ac on full blast( everthing on highest output) when putting it in.let it run for a while. you should see red where its leaking from. hope this helps you
Old 04-23-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Anyone in the houston area that does AC work and works for cheap? Beer and a return of the favor? I'll buy the parts, just need the labor...
Old 04-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Don't put air in the system. The air will have moisture in it and can really screw up the system. If you use dye to leak check you will need the ultra violet light to find the leak and the system should run a couple of weeks before checking. This can cost you more in the long run if you do it wrong trying to save money in the begining. If you don't see any oily spots on the line sets under the hood, the chances are good it is the evaporator leaking.