Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X, Y-Pipe Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default X, Y-Pipe Question

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject but I need opinions and suggestions from anyone interested. I am getting ready to order Pacesetter LTs, non-emission style and my question is as follows:

Is there any reason that I cannot just have headers, an x-pipe (bye bye cats!) and turndowns before the rear axle. I know this is similar to true duals but Im not going to be running any mufflers at all..just open headers and an x-pipe. I plan on deleting the AIR, EGR amd CATS after the install. Is there any issue that I should be aware of in the programming, SES light problems, O2 sensor issues or anything else. I am not worried about the loudness or emission.

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Old 05-03-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lnuxhakr
Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject but I need opinions and suggestions from anyone interested. I am getting ready to order Pacesetter LTs, non-emission style and my question is as follows:

Is there any reason that I cannot just have headers, an x-pipe (bye bye cats!) and turndowns before the rear axle. I know this is similar to true duals but Im not going to be running any mufflers at all..just open headers and an x-pipe. I plan on deleting the AIR, EGR amd CATS after the install. Is there any issue that I should be aware of in the programming, SES light problems, O2 sensor issues or anything else. I am not worried about the loudness or emission.

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Youll need to have a tune to delete the EGR and AIR codes, and well as the rear O2 sensor code, since your ditching the cats.

And that would be insanely loud for the street
Old 05-03-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can handle the rediculous volume, drone, and raspiness of the setup, youre okay in theory. Youll still need to run either rear o2 sims or just get the rear o2 sensors tuned out.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
If you can handle the rediculous volume, drone, and raspiness of the setup, youre okay in theory. Youll still need to run either rear o2 sims or just get the rear o2 sensors tuned out.
I really dont think he gonna get raspiness with this. He will probably get the back firing type sound when he lets off the throttle after a hard run. But no rasp.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

No reason at all. It'll be a true dual exhaust but just without mufflers. Just get an X pipe kit like what Summit and Jegs has or buy an X pipe and have a shop run pipes back from the headers to the X and a little after and put dumps on.

Jason
Old 05-03-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
No reason at all. It'll be a true dual exhaust but just without mufflers. Just get an X pipe kit like what Summit and Jegs has or buy an X pipe and have a shop run pipes back from the headers to the X and a little after and put dumps on.
Jason
For some reason I thought that the x-pipe would bolt up directly to the headers and Id just put turndowns on the other end (exit) of the x-pipe...is this not correct?

Thanks,

Ben