Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scavenging at high rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scavenging at high rpms?

I currently have true dual exhuast with an x-pipe, and I know that the x-pipe puts a little more power under the curve due to its scavenging effect. My question is that once I get my stall converter (3500-4000) is the scavenging really going to be effective anymore? I am considering doing cutouts before my x-pipe and then putting some like magnaflow 4x9s or something else quiet after the x. Would that be pointless to do? Won't be doing anything till summer, but am planning now. TIA
Old 05-04-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My basic question is, how does an x-pipe function at >3000rpm, compared to <3000rpm?

Last edited by 01TAFlyer; 05-04-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is that it helps all around, but the largest difference is at lower engine speeds. What I believe the reason to be is that once you exhaust gas velocity is high (upper rpm) you have enough momentum from the moving column of air that it helps suck the exhaust gas out of the cylinder, even with a singlular system. Therefore the gains at upper RPM aren't as high because the scavening created by the proper length duals and X-pipe setup are second order to the suction from the moving column.

Now, that could be totally wrong I just pulled it out of my ***, but it makes sense to me.

I'd just stick to a dual exhaust with bullets or chambered mufflers and call it good. Or add cutouts if you really want to be able to cut 'er loose once in awhile.