Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake Install Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 Intake Install Problems

I finished up installing an ls6 intake this morning, and once started up, it will idle fine for about 1 minute, then the rpms will shoot up to 2000rpm and stay there for sometime. They will also shoot up if I put it in neutral as im driving, and once i've slowed down.

After hooking it up to a scanner, my IAT counts are now zero, my dynamic airflow numbers have dropped about .4, im getting 25s on my ltfts, very lean on the o2s, and KR.

Does this all point to a big vacuum leak? I made sure to remove the green clips underneath, but didn't remove some of the tape, is that causing it not to seal? I've checked the brake booster and the other vacuum line that runs to the back of the manifold, and they are on.

The only other thing I can think of is bad intake orings since the intake is used.

Any help is much appreciated, I dont want to pull this thing back off..

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 05-09-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try to take some carb cleaner and spray small bits around the intake to try and target a leak. u will beable to tell if its leaking in it will stumble pretty bad. check the TB too, how many times have u shut it off and restarted? i doubt with what you descrbe that its an idle relearn problem. thats just odd, but my guess would be a leaky gasket or something along those lines
Old 05-09-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

my IAT counts are now zero, my dynamic airflow numbers have dropped about .4, im getting 25s on my ltfts, very lean on the o2s, and KR.
From that... I'd bet a million dollars(not really) that it is a vac leak.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:36 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
try to take some carb cleaner and spray small bits around the intake to try and target a leak. u will beable to tell if its leaking in it will stumble pretty bad. check the TB too, how many times have u shut it off and restarted? i doubt with what you descrbe that its an idle relearn problem. thats just odd, but my guess would be a leaky gasket or something along those lines

I agree, at first I though of idel relearn problem, but it sounds different.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Well I pulled it off last night, and found out there weren't ANY intake orings. I bought this used and just should have looked when I put it on the first time, I was just in too much of a hurry.

I guess the good part about it is that I can take one off and put one in in 30 minutes now that I've had to do it twice in one day.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Jeff
Old 05-10-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man that sounds just like something id do. two weeks ago when i was installing my cam i accidentally bolted the MAF sensor plug behind the timing cover. then after everything was done and i was plugging in all the sensors i realized what i had done and had to take it all apart again. i definitely learned my lesson on that one.