Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TB Cleaner??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TB Cleaner??

What product do you guys use to clean all the carbon build up on your TB? I have a 2000. I am thinking of getting a catch can to help with any extra oil consumption. I'm thinking this may be one of the reasons that my TB is so black. What do you guys recommend to clean it all off?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

don't use any form of carb cleaners and use as little as possible. They make throttle body/air intake cleaners that will do a good job but also protect any anti carbon films on the throtle blades or bore. Best one that I have ever used is an aerosol orange can called air intake cleaner i belive and made by BG products. It's hard to find but they make some of the best stuff out there. but unless you use that or something that has lube in it always give the throttle shaft a little shot of lube to keep from wearing a hole in the body from the throttle shaft rubbing.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just used brake kleen or however you spell it...it worked perfectly fine as far as i can tell
Old 05-10-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
don't use any form of carb cleaners and use as little as possible. They make throttle body/air intake cleaners that will do a good job but also protect any anti carbon films on the throtle blades or bore. Best one that I have ever used is an aerosol orange can called air intake cleaner i belive and made by BG products. It's hard to find but they make some of the best stuff out there. but unless you use that or something that has lube in it always give the throttle shaft a little shot of lube to keep from wearing a hole in the body from the throttle shaft rubbing.

Is this stuff you are talking about an aerosol can that is sprayed in while the car is running or is this a TB tear down, clean and wipe kind of stuff?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bsherrill
Is this stuff you are talking about an aerosol can that is sprayed in while the car is running or is this a TB tear down, clean and wipe kind of stuff?

I just leave teh car off and hold open the throttle and clean it good with a rag. There are other much better ways of cleaning the top end with the car running other then spraying in cleaner. A drip in top end clean for example is one of them. a pressureized injector nozzle that clips to the TB is also one that I use at work. It's just hard of cars with MAF's to keep them running right while the air duct is removed.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

my advice is get some seafoam (top end cleaner) and pour it through the pcv valve while running (direction on bottle) this will clean up a lot of the carbon deposits...
Old 05-10-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 777
i just used brake kleen or however you spell it...it worked perfectly fine as far as i can tell
I also use a brake cleaner, Orielys brand
Old 05-10-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

brake cleaner is very harsh. It will also swell any rubber that it contacts. Especialy if the chlorinated (sp). I would recomend sticking to the correct chemical for the intended use to be safe. Brake cleaner also tends to stain metals.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

well i had absolutly no problem with it...it cleaned it very nicely...and the metal is not "stained"
Old 05-10-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it will clean, but it is harsh. Just because you don't have a problem doesn't make it the correct product to use. It's a bit of an over exageration but you wouldn't put power steering fluid in your brake system would you? They designed air intake cleaners for a reason. Most manufactures use an anti carbon film on the Throttle plate. Carb and brake cleaners will remove this. The correct product will not. And also like I said above they contain lube to prevent ware on the throttle shaft. Brake cleaner and carb cleaner doesn't. I just don't understand why someone would use something that not intended for the job when the right can is sitting right next to the brake cleaner. It's also not really worth the savings of a buck or two.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have used electrical component cleaner. It works pretty good and it leaves no residue.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

take your tb off the car and use brake cleaner. we used to clean our 50cal machine guns and our M240s with brake cleaner after two weeks of gunnery. if that doesn't convince you that it will work, i'm not sure what will. that **** LOVES to eat through carbon, and does so in a snap.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
take your tb off the car and use brake cleaner. we used to clean our 50cal machine guns and our M240s with brake cleaner after two weeks of gunnery. if that doesn't convince you that it will work, i'm not sure what will. that **** LOVES to eat through carbon, and does so in a snap.

No one is saying that it doesn't work. The point is how well it works for the intended use. Have you tired using the correct product before?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

I have a small bottle of rubbing alcohol that I use to clean the MAF and the throttle body. Just take the TB off and spray the inside and blade with the alcohol and wipe it out with a paper towel. It works good, isn't harsh, and what you didn't get to with the towel evaporates quickly.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

i used some B12 when i cleaned mine had a actual can of it, poured some into a small container and brushed it on... worked fine for me.

B12 will clean anything