Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter quality...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter quality...

I bought a pacesetter header for my old car, (1995 Honda Prelude SI) and the paint flaked off within an hour of driving it. I read the mod guide, and the headers for my T/A looked great, but I was wondering if they would flake and have that crappy ruined metal look. Site claimed the 'Lude's header was ceramic coated, but with the flaking, I doubt it. Since Long tubes are long tubes, the deciding factor is whether or not the pacesetters would make my car look like a masterpiece of backwoods engineering after a mere hour to two. I was lookin at SLP, but at grab-your-ankles pricing, (for me, anyway) I was hoping for some opinions. I was never dissatisfied with the actual durability of pacesetter, and since I was just replacing a cracked stock manifold that was messing with my O2 sensor readings and causing a rough-idle condition, I didn't care about perf. gains. (somewhere around 4hp I think... Gawd it's nice to have two banks of four cylinders on my '98) Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:32 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why look at SLP LT's? They're dyno proven to be inferior to all the others, are a bitch to install, hang low and scrape, and (are a bitch to take off again when you're fed up with them ).
In LT's, Stainless Steel is the only way maintain durability over the long haul.
Most of the S.S. options are in the 1 G range in terms of pricing.
You get what you pay for in this case.

Coated Pacesetters and Jet Hots are the most decent bargain LT's.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I heard pacesetters' for the imports were not near the quality that the fbod pacesetters' are.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:39 AM
Teching In

I figgered as much. Even paying for two of the imp's headers I'd be lookin at $280, I guess that extra $120 does go somewhere. I know S/S is the better material, but I'm going old school here. Just a guy on a tight budget gonna do what I can with what I gotm which banishes Ligenfelter or anything in that range from my vocaulary... until I open my hot rod shop and take over the world. You know how it goes.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:43 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

@ $385, coated, you can't beat the price of Pacesetters.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Brain dyno tells me I'll be look somewhere in the 30hp gain range with LT's, right?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:48 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LoveHisBird
Brain dyno tells me I'll be look somewhere in the 30hp gain range with LT's, right?
Depends. Most full bolt-on cars (Lid, Ported TB, UD pulley, LT's, Y-pipe, free flowing exhaust) will dyno in the 325-350rwhp range. LT's being the crucial component in that list. LT's are the foundation to further mods.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The coated pace LTs on my TA are looking good so far.
On a bolt-on car ud prolly see 15rwhp+ w/ LTs and a tune.
more so on a cammed car or more heavily modded car.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Amen to that. If you dun uncork it from the exhaust ports, you're wasting your time until you do.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the painted ones (which Pacesetter clearly states are NOT high temp painted). I tried to strip them and paint with POR15 hi temp but I don't think I stripped them well enough since it's flaking.
HOWEVER, the rest of my exhaust, which I also painted, still looks great after 10 months of daily driving and outside parking so I think if you properly stripped the paint off of an uncoated set of pacesetters and POR15'ed them, you'd be set.

I'm very happy with the quality of the headers in general but I was skeptical of the coating so that's why I didn't get the ceramic.