Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtube/Stcok header swap...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longtube/Stcok header swap...

Tonight, me and a few buddies, (one of them being blkz28ls6, aka Brumder, aka Sean ) took off some longtubes and threw on all of the stock **** on. Needless to say it was our first header/exhaust install/uninstall experience. To any of you noobs considering doing this yourself, let me say one thing. If you have some tools, an extra hand or two and patience, save some money and do it yourselves. In the longrun you will have accomplished something fun and saved alot of money.

We took out the longtubes (soon to be on my car ) and replaced all of these parts with stock ****. One problem we ran into was that one of the studs on the driver side manifold was not there. (stock parts were from a doner car, Brumders!) So I tried putting in another bolt but while putting it through the threads it snapped the head off. So I drilled it out and replaced it with a smaller bolt and put some exhaust sealant to seal that bitch up. Another problem it took us some time to figure out how to get the steering linkage out of the way to drop out the longtube. But other than that, and a few biffed up nuckles, all went very well and only took about 4 hours at most. This was including letting the car cool down afetr about a half hour drive, and drilling out the stud. So not to bad at all. We did have it on a lift so that made it 100X's easier for sure.

But again, do this yourselves and save money. It's fun and you will learn a thing or two while your at it.

Jon
Old 05-18-2005, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was easier than I thought it would be. I think the lift made it easy for us, being able to move the car up and down at will. Thank God Grizwald showed up! (He knew how to move the steering linkage). I can't wait to get the Long Tubes and ORY on your car now. A big thanks goes out to LS1Tech and its members who take the time to post useful information!