Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15+ horsepower from a resistor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15+ horsepower from a resistor?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...976169165&rd=1

please read this action and give me yoru opinions on this...... im not sure how the pcm of a ls1 works....

Dan
Old 05-27-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

It is a 4.7k ohm resistor that you place into the intake air tempurature connector. I basically tells the PCM that the air coming into the motor is much colder than it really is so you get max timing advance. You can go to Radio Shack and buy an entire package of them for about a buck.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya right, and you'll gain 30 rwhp from a K&N. From the testing I've seen, I wouldn't even waste $1.95 on the resistor from radio shack, which is the same thing as the iat tricker.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:08 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Please dont waste your money on that.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

it may increase timing a couple degrees but it also will richen up the a/f ratio. not worth it you want more timing then get the car tuned I got mine tuned by a guy on here for $75 with hp tuners. got the timing tables raised some, deleted torque management, got rid of delayed shifts, increased shift firmness and lots more. all the benefits of the increase in timing and many other upgrades. anyone doing a $10 mod for 1-2 degrees of timing is wasting money that could be spent on tuning that does more, works well with the car and helps driveablity especially with a cam.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/327066-too-good-true.html
That auction must be getting alot of traffic.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Launching!

hmm, ok, lol, now taht i see it iwll do nothing for me... i will stay away from it....

thanks for the info...

Dan
Old 05-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Launching!

It's kind of sad. I remember talking to some kid I ran into one night with a v8 firebird awhile back and he said something about it being "chipped out". Knowing that the PCM can not be re-chipped, per se, I asked him where he was able to find the chip and he said he got a great deal off eBay for $25...I didn't have the heart to tell him he got scammed. Maybe he's found one of the LS1 sites since then or talked to someone that has set him straight. It just kind of irritates me the claims these idiots can make on sites like eBay that reel idiots in.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-29-2005, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Yea lol... i was searching ebay earlier today and saw it. You could tell it was bullshit from the second you looked at it. What a SCAM. These guys know what there talking bout man... so listen to them, be smart and save up the money down the road for a good tune. It can do alot more than you think it could!
Old 05-29-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

QUOTE: I remember talking to some kid I ran into one night with a v8 firebird awhile back and he said something about it being "chipped out".

That always makes me laugh when someone says their car is "all chipped out". That reminds me of going to the ford dealership to test drive cars for fun, and the salesman telling me "ya all you have to do is get this GT chipped and you will be just as fast as the camaros and firebirds". It would take at least two hands to count the number of times I've been told by salesmen how all I need is a chip and this car will haul. "It will add like 50 hp." They'd be lucky to get 8 hp on a stock GT. Are these salesmen clueless or are they just trying to sell a car. I'm suprised how many people actually think just putting a chip in a stock car is going to be like adding a supercharger. LOL................Ok I feel better now that I have that off my chest.

BTW, no offense about the iat tricker question. That was a valid question, I'm not making fun of you.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:26 AM
Launching!

hmm, no offense.... but people that think their ls1's are all chipped out... need to be driving hondas

Dan
Old 05-29-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

I remember back in 99-00 everyone was doing this mod. Anybody remember all of the free or super-cheap mods the 'Pepper' had on it? Everything goes in cycles and it seems the 'timing tricker' and the 'throttle body by-pass' are back in style on eBay.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:25 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NO CATZZ
Everything goes in cycles and it seems the 'timing tricker' and the 'throttle body by-pass' are back in style on eBay.
I like the tb bypass simply because it makes changing tb's and intakes much less messy

Anyway, I've personally felt you can throw this resistor mod into the likes of http://www.tornadoair.com
Old 05-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Maybe he was referring to something like this...

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...46&prmenbr=361

There are others but this was the easiest to find real quick...
Old 05-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Im sorry that was in reference to rush7's comment
Old 05-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I like the tb bypass simply because it makes changing tb's and intakes much less messy

Anyway, I've personally felt you can throw this resistor mod into the likes of http://www.tornadoair.com
I'm with you there on the TB bypass mod. Just changed intakes myself so the fact that I didn't have to diconnect two hoses off the TB made it easier...well take that back I did have to disconnect the first hose from the bypass coupling since I was changing to the LS6-style coolant pipes.

I may get flamed for this but I still believe the bypass mod itself falls in the "every little bit helps" category. It's basically a free mod, as you might expect to pay $2 for a coupling and two clamps. The logic behind it makes sense as you theoretically would have cooler, denser air make its way into the intake. Let's say it provides 1HP for $2...that's as good as cost-efficiency as you'll find for most mods. Think about it, you buy a lid for $50-90 and expect 10HP, well that's 1/5 to 1/9 horsepower per dollar. The figures may be off there, but the cost-efficiency probably falls in line with any other mod even if you only gain a fraction of a horsepower. I just paid roughly $350 for an LS6 intake from which I expect to get maybe 8-15HP, that's an even worse statistic (thinking in terms of only horsepower per dollar and not support for future mods). I do think the bypass mod has its place...just one man's humble opinion.

Just went to the tornado website link for fun and I had to laugh at the commercials that play in the upper-right corner of the page! There was just something funny about the guy in the stang when he said "I've got a tornado!" Had to LOL here at work...
Old 05-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Launching!

erm i see what your saying, lol, hmm, but i paid $.10 for the 2 clamps for the tb bypass mod... cos' i had eeverything else laying around.... 1-2 hp isnt ba for $.10 lol hmm, my lid was purchased for $10 bellow was $10...... hmm, 10 hp there... $20 not too bad.... FRA mod.... Free..... 3-4 carlengths from what i have seen on the street..... erm, free mods dont work too bad.... lol, but now that i had runout of things to do almost.... i am lookin for other little free mods.... just to see what i can do for next to nothing for ***** and giggles.... lol

need to do the drill mod to my car... dont think its going to help acceleration... except during the shifts.....

Dan
Old 05-31-2005, 12:47 PM
Launching!

lid for 10 bucks? nice find!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Launching!

yeah, the guy i bought it from didnt know what he had laying around.... so i took the chance and grabbed it and i was like "what do ya want for this old thing?" lol so i think i made out well.....

Dan