Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!AIR/!EGR install(removal) gone bad...must read!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default !AIR/!EGR install(removal) gone bad...must read!

Well, I arrived home from work today to find my BMR boxed SFC's, BMR adjustable Panhard rod, and Speed Inc. EGR/AIR block off plates on my front doorstep. Whohooo right? I thought I would do the "easy" mod of !AIR/!EGR before dinner. I started with the EGR. EGR removal and block off plate install was about 5 minutes tops. Next was the AIR assembly. Removed the hose from the pump assembly, disconnected the two connectors on the pump so it wouldn't run(I left that in the car), and removed the whole tubing assembly. Now, it was time for the block off plates.

Problem #1: The plates needed to be "massaged" in order to fit. The holes were slightly too short center to center. So, I whipped out the drill and elongated the holes. No big deal

Problem #2: I found out while I was fighting to get the bolts started when the holes were too short that one of the threads on the driver side header for the AIR pipe was slightly stripped. SO off to the parts store I went for a 8mmx1.25 tap to clean the threads. After all that, the block off plates were installed.

Problem #3: The freeze plug Speed Inc. supplied (1 3/8") didn't quite fit the LS6 intake like it was intended to. I figured I would put some RTV around the plug and use the existing gasket from the EGR to seal it. I started up the car and noticed a choppy idle. I turned off the car and lookd at the intake. The freeze plug was "sucked" partially into the intake due to the vacuum. So I pulled off the bellow, opened the throttle body and pushed the freeze plug back up. WAIT! Where is the gasket??? Uh oh. I got my trusty mag lite and shined it in the intake. Long behold, it was shoved in the very back runner on the passenger side. Went inside and got my special "pull gaskets from intake tool" (a metal coat hanger straightened out) and fished the gasket out. THAT WAS A CLOSE ONE!

I had to think of a way to hold that damm freeze plug in there. So, I drove to Home Depot to get some Epoxy. I epoxied the freeze plug in there with about 3/8" of epoxy. I am letting it dry overnight to see how this holds up. Hopefully I will get a break this time!

I have negative luck it seems

Andy
Old 06-02-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A 1-3/8" freeze plug should have had to been driven in that hole with some pretty good force. Every car I have done I always get a little concerned thinking its gonna split the intake because its so tight. They are only like 30 or 40 cents, why dont you just buy another one or get one ofthe 2 dollar ones that are rubber and swell up when you tighten the nut?

I have had the same problem with the plates and the holes being stripped in other cars before.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

The plug went in with little to no resistance. It says 1 3/8" right on it too. I don't know. When I was at Home Depot, I was looking for one of the rubber plugs with the nut that expands but I couldn't find the right size. I will check Lowe's tomm.

Andy
Old 06-02-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it the hammer in kind of freeze plug? i used an expanding freeze plug, and i had to tap it in while it was loose. works great
Old 06-02-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, it is the aluminum(?) non-expandable freeze plug like you would use in an engine block or head. I am going to purchase the expandable one tomm.

Andy
Old 06-02-2005, 09:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

definately the expandable rubber one is the way to go...you will want to tap it in lightly with a hammer before expanding it...a buddy of mine just put his in..it popped out while driving down the road...he had to kill it and coast down from 65mph on the highway with the car shut off.....I laughed so hard at him when he told me that one......
just be sure its in there good before you go driving..LOL
Old 06-02-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used a 1 3/8" rubber expandable freeze plug in mine. Gently tapped it in with a hammer and tightened up the nut. Holds perfect with no problems.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check this out... http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=70
Old 06-03-2005, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00badfnta
Yep, that's exactly the one I got... You can more easily find them at auto parts stores.. I think I got mine at Autozone. You won't need a gasket or RTV or anything else besides the plug.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's raining cats and dogs around here. I am gonna check out Autozone or PepBoys tomm afternoon. I need to dremel the epoxy out now Oh well, it gives me a reason to work on the car! Haha

Andy
Old 06-03-2005, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
A 1-3/8" freeze plug should have had to been driven in that hole with some pretty good force. Every car I have done I always get a little concerned thinking its gonna split the intake because its so tight.

That's how mine was....

Get the expandable kind and you'll be good to go.