Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fake exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fake exhaust

I did a search but didnt get the info i want.

I want to dump a bullet muffler in the I-pipe and have some fake exhaust out the back or the sides so the cops will have something to look at. If you've done this, which way did you do yours? Any troubles from the cops? How or where did you put the exhaust hangers to stiffen the fake pipes to keep them from moving or rattling? post pics if you got 'em
Old 06-03-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

get true duals run out the back. it will sound 100x better and will make more power.

OR, put a bullet in your i-pipe, and a cutout right after it. then you don't have to fab anything up! presuming you have the stock exhaust on it right now.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or get true duals dumped and fab up some hangers to hang tips on. Cops here in Florida don't care if they are dumped or not. Only problem with that is that when winter comes they will wonder why smoke is coming from underneath the car.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

TDs wont work with the tq arm i want. I have dual cutouts now and ground clearance is a beotch, i dont want to go from crappy clearance with cutouts to crappy clearance with duals, defeats the purpose. The fake pipes will still leave some unneeded weight on the car but it will get rid of 3' or so of piping and the heavy chokemaster muffler that was put on before i bought the car.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

what tq arm do you want?

you get duals made right you get excellent clearance, btw. and since you haven't purchased your tq arm yet, there's still options
Old 06-03-2005, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
what tq arm do you want?
The spohn tq arm with crossbrace mount so there's less stress on the tailshaft. The x-pipe would be right in the middle of the brace and extremely close to the ground if it was below the brace.

TDs do sound badass though.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

anyone?
Old 09-10-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

True Duals definately are badass, sound mean as hell...

personally I would just go w/ a catted Y-pipe (very negligable power loss compared to an ORY) and use your stock catback and get a cutout after the rear axel

when the cutout is open it's pretty much a straight pipe, it's loud as hell and whenever you want to quiet it, just strap the cap back on, the car goes back to sounding stock
Old 09-10-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

i thought about this also. i plan on dumped TDs, but want to put tips. if you a light tip, you could probably fabricate a bracket to weld/bolt the tip to, possibly from where the tips mount to right now
Old 09-10-2005, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

i already have dual cutouts and they are coming off to clear subframe connectors. Plus i can shed a few pounds of exhaust.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:21 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SScottie
The spohn tq arm with crossbrace mount so there's less stress on the tailshaft. The x-pipe would be right in the middle of the brace and extremely close to the ground if it was below the brace.

TDs do sound badass though.
May I suggest this alternative, get the standard Spohn torque arm that mounts to the trans, and then get a torque arm relocation kit: http://www.eadperformance.com/catalo...Path=41_42_160

It moves the mount for the torque arm off the trans. This is the route I went with and ground clearance is great, and the torque arm relocation kit doesnt block anything for any exhaust setup. I had the chassis mounted Spohn torque arm before, and clearance was horrible and my car wasn't even lowered.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Default ha ha

or you can just run open headers...lol
Old 09-11-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Junkie

try open headers and you will never suggest that again, at least on a street car
Old 09-12-2005, 02:49 AM
Launching!

I rode around for a little more than a week with open headers. I loved it! sure my parents complained, and whoever rode with me, and the older people across the street,......and the cops. BUT I loved it. LOL now I am going with 3 inch TD's with an h-pipe and bullets......atleast they can't say I have no exhaust.