Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best muffler location on true duals

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best muffler location on true duals

I'm fabing up my true dual system and am trying to figure out where the best location for the sweet thunder mufflers would be. I'm going with qtp headers a magnaflow X-pipe, sweet thunder mufflers, under the axle and out the back. It will all be 2.5 stainless steel. I only have two choices, after the X or right before the tips. I've seen them in both locations and just want to know if it will effect sound or hp? I want the system to be as deep as possible but no restrictions on flow. I'm looking for the deepest sound, not nessisarly the loudest. Any one have any info on this. Also chime in if you have one or the other and how you like it.
Thanks,
Lou
Old 06-23-2005, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Nobody has any info on this?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Interesting question... Never thought about doing it PRE X...hmmm
Old 06-23-2005, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

I got my mufflers under the rear seats. They were custom built and my friend pounded up the floorpan under the rear seats. I wish I knew how to post pics on this then I'd show you.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Y2K SS
I got my mufflers under the rear seats. They were custom built and my friend pounded up the floorpan under the rear seats. I wish I knew how to post pics on this then I'd show you.
Well hows it sound? Thats about where mine would be if I went right after the X. I'm thinking right after the X might be the best. I read that sweet thunder recommends having some pipe after them.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

to the top
Old 06-24-2005, 03:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Speed Inc used to have a pic up on their site w/ their TD setup using dynomax race bullets. But they used dumps before the axle on that setup.

I'd probably say that'd be your best bet, is to mount them before the axle and just run the piping up and over, then continue it back. Will it effect sound? Possibly, but I doubt it'll be anything insane in depth. Will it restrict flow? Again, possibly. You're adding more piping to the system so its got more length to flow out, but again I dont think it'll be anything to effect #s drastically.

Here's Texas Speed & Performance's X pipe setup. Towards the left of the pic before the hangers you'll see the bullet mufflers. You might be able to get those sweet thunders in about that same position.

If the pic doesnt work - here's - the link
Old 06-24-2005, 04:59 AM
12 Second Club

They sound good but real loud at times in the car. As far as the piping goes... I got them going up and over the axles and to tips. The only problem is my car is lowered and I have 3" pipes so when I hit a bump they hit the axle or undercarriage. make a shitty noise. My friend had the same problem and ended up cutting them off right behind the muffler and dumping them before th axles. Send me an email addy and I will send you some picks.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:14 AM
10 Second Club

"The only problem is my car is lowered and I have 3" pipes so when I hit a bump they hit the axle or undercarriage. make a shitty noise."

Thats why I'm going under the axle. I have enough bangs with my y-pipe setup so I'll give up a little ground clearance to make sure I don't have any banging. It would be my best bet to just dump them but I like my corsa tips and think the trans ams look stupid with no tips. If I had a camaro there would by no question, it would be dumped.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:17 AM
10 Second Club

As far as being loud, I can't see them being any louder than when I have my cut out open. I like how my current setup sounds better with the cutout open than going threw the corsa. Its a little louder but much deeper.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Put them right under the rear seats and bang the bottom of the seats in with a big rubber hammer. The metal is thin (a big rubber headed hammer wont break through) so it'll dent up easily, and nobody will notice it since its under the rear seats and never effects any type of fit or finish. That is by far the easiest way to tuck them up and its also better for sound to have them pre-axle (they say).
Old 06-24-2005, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

By going under the pipes you'll still have a oproblem with banging except it will be more costly if you screw up. When you go over bumps the suspension will extend itself hitting the pipes and forcing them down. Not to mention the clearance issue.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Y2K SS
By going under the pipes you'll still have a oproblem with banging except it will be more costly if you screw up. When you go over bumps the suspension will extend itself hitting the pipes and forcing them down. Not to mention the clearance issue.
I think I can make them without that being an issue. Clearance will be an issue but not for me because I won't be driving over anything other than flat roads and the track.