Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed kooks

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed kooks

well my two buddies and i just installed the kooks 1 3/4 race long tubes with the 3 inch off road y pipe and poly motor mounts. i've got to tell you that this is probably the hardest task i've ever taken on even if my two buddies were helping. we finally got it done around 1:00 today. the car is like day and night difference compared to yesterday. it pulls out of this world and 3rd gear is nasty now. i've got the borla cat-back going straight through, so we payed attention to the raspy sound that people said would be there. it wasn't there. the car sounds great and no drone. thanks for all of the tips that members have posted and the questions they have answered for me. to the ones that suggested me not to do this because of the borla and an off road y pipe, the setups that you all have encountered must not have been professionally installed!!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 03:07 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Thats good to hear that everything went well for you, and that you like the sound - any sounds clips? Curious to hear how yours sounds. Congrats!
Old 06-27-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Scully, what was so hard about doing the job? I am looking to do this also, and all i hear is it SUCKS!
Old 06-27-2005, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RaRe99SS
Scully, what was so hard about doing the job? I am looking to do this also, and all i hear is it SUCKS!

well to tell you the truth it just takes alot of patience. i lack that a little!!!
the hardest thing was the motor mounts, and that was with the manifolds out. i'd hate to do them with the manifolds or headers in. the next was the passenger side manifold removal and header install. the heater box and a/c lines, and the fender well are real close to the places you need to be. the driver side header install was crazy. get the car as high as you can and insert the header vertically and then maneuver it horizontally. oh, the back passenger side coil pack bracket bolt will make you loose your religion. i wouldn't even attempt putting it back in once it is out. man, good luck and be patient. if i can help any when you get ready to do the install just pm and i'll do my best to help you out.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lithium
Thats good to hear that everything went well for you, and that you like the sound - any sounds clips? Curious to hear how yours sounds. Congrats!

thanks man, if one of my buddies can get a sound clip i'll post it for you all. i don't have to equipment to do it though.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scully, the car pulls awesome now!! I knew it would make a diffrence, but that thing puts you in the seat now. I love the sound. NOW for the cam I've got picked out
Old 06-28-2005, 10:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did u notice a difference in the motor mounts or was it hard to tell beings u did it all at once? any kind of vibrations or engine noise?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Did you have to drop the tranny crossmember, or loosen the motor mounts? I had to with MACs and wasn' t too happy about that. I am looking into getting either Kooks, QTPs, or SuperMax headers, and want the easiest to install. I would prefer the Kooks or QTPs, but, I just don' t know. Basically, did you have to move the engine or tranny to get 'em in there?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2005, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by radz282003
Did you have to drop the tranny crossmember, or loosen the motor mounts? I had to with MACs and wasn' t too happy about that. I am looking into getting either Kooks, QTPs, or SuperMax headers, and want the easiest to install. I would prefer the Kooks or QTPs, but, I just don' t know. Basically, did you have to move the engine or tranny to get 'em in there?

Thanks!
nope, i didn't drop the tranny crossmember or loosen the motor mounts. when the manifolds were out, we changed the motor mounts. then we installed the mounts to the motor and kmember. then we installed the headers, but no we wouldn't have had to drop the crossmember or loosin the motor mounts.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by matt94z
Scully, the car pulls awesome now!! I knew it would make a diffrence, but that thing puts you in the seat now. I love the sound. NOW for the cam I've got picked out

if it wasn't for this guy, my car would still be on the stock air box!!!!!!! thanks for the garage and all the great help.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
did u notice a difference in the motor mounts or was it hard to tell beings u did it all at once? any kind of vibrations or engine noise?

no engine noise or vibrations now. if you have ever seen a poly mount next to stock mount, it is a disgrace that gm put that crap on one of these cars.