Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken/worn motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken/worn motor mount

I've posted before about this problem I've been having. My car has a bad vibration at around 55mph and up. Also, there is no extra vibration when the car idles, but if sitting still and revving the engine there seems to be extra vibration. The whole car shakes, not just the steering wheel. First thought it was alignment, wrong. Then thought it was wheel balance, wrong. So I took it to a reputable shop and had them take it out for a ride and look at the car. They checked the tranny mount, thats fine. But then they looked at the motor mounts. They said the motor mounts are worn, causing metal on metal contact which in turn is causing the vibration. Do these symptoms sound like a broken/worn motor mount?? They are originals and the car has 28,xxx miles on it.
If so, should they be replaced with stockers or poly?? Thanks for the help guys.
-Joe
Old 07-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Teching In

You just described what I am having, the same problem, loud vibration, annoying as hell. My dad is ASE certified (comes in handy) and we are looking at the motor mounts and tranny mounts tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not really happy to hear it, but at least I'm not alone. Can you do me a favor and let me know what you guys determine before I make my next move.

-Oh and if it helps, I have a BMR k-member as well.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Teching In

sure thing
Old 07-22-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I changed to poly motor mounts at 40,000 miles (not too long ago) and the 'bond' that holds the rubber insert to the clamshell had already dissolved... normally, you have to heat the clamshell to pull the rubber off, not me. And my car is just street driven, no extreme torqueing to the engine. I noticed a difinite improvement when i put the new poly mounts in.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I'm going to have it looked at again this week. I guess I should order the poly mounts now so I have them.

TransAm Man, let me know what's up with your car.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Good luck installing the mounts. This was the mod from hell and I consider myself patient and skilled under the hood. You could not pay me to do this mod again.

Take off your ac and power steering pump. Get box end geared wrenches.

This mod will eliminate engine shaking due to a lopey cam- like mine.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I waited to do my engine mounts until I got around to swapping out my headers. It's much easier without exhaust in the way. I didnt have to remove any accessories (a/c, alternator). I spent about 15 minutes a side getting the mounts out, about an hour separating the clamshells and re-assembling them with the poly and another 15 minutes a side reinstalling them. I'd do it again if need be.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

joe...check and see if the four bolts that go into the block are tight...theres also a bolt that goes through the mounts.

i would also take a look at the four mounting bolts that go to the k member...i know you have a tubular one...so they may have worked their way out.

i would fix it but im crazy busy as usual.

how are the brakes..have they melted off your car yet?

phil.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Phil,
I'm going to have it looked at within the next week, see what needs to be done. I chenged the brakes a few weeks ago, now I can actually stop.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd change the tranny mount too. It can make the same "shakes" your describing.