Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another fan switch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another fan switch question

I've done a good bit of searching and found lots of links that don't work on this subject. Can anyone tell me specifically where I need to tap in to the wires for the fans? I keep hearing a blue and green wire on the passenger side of the inner front fender. I found a 10 wire connector there with a green and blue wire, actually there's more than one of each. Is it the two that are next to each other at the connector? And also where are most of yall getting the wires through the firewall? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Teching In

SLP makes a fan switch for $65 the has the stock connectors on it and clips right in. I have one and it works great
Old 08-19-2005, 12:59 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I bought the slp fan switch. It was pretty simple to install, just took me a while. Yes I went through the passesnger side firewall grommet.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:52 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Here's something I wrote up for someone a coupla years ago. Hope this helps.

This is from memory and for the 2000 ECM pin-outs.
I tapped into the wiring harness that runs over the pass wheelwell to the computer. To do a quick test, you can pull the large connector apart on the wheelwell and look look for the pins that correspond to the Dark Green wire (low speed fan relay control) and the Dark Blue wire (high speed fan relay control.
With the ignition off, take a probe or wire and touch the Dark green wire pin and put the other end to ground. The fans should come on low speed.
With the green wire still to ground, take another probe or wire and touch the pin that corresponds to the Dark blue wire and put the other end to ground. Fans should now come on high.
In other words the Dark Green wire to ground will run the fans on low. Both the Dark Green AND the Dark Blue to ground will run fans on high.
Don't have to cut any wires, just use the crimp-type (tap in squeeze ) connectors available at Radio Shack.I tapped into the wiring harness at the rear of the wheelwell and thus could route the wires in existing split-cover up to the computer. If you take the computer MOUNT loose you can get some wiggle room and there is a grommet behind and down that you can snake the wires inside behind the pass kick panel, then route through the dash.
Incidentally, there is a good ground source behind the pass kick panel you will see wire(s) bolted to.
I don't remember the switch wiring off hand.. A 3 position dbl pole/dbl throw will let you wire for off, low, or high speeds. Good luck, it doesn't take very long to do. My switch is mounted to the left of the "CAMARO" lettering on the console.
A small switch will fit into an empty plug there, but the larger one I used took gluing in a drilled piece of black plastic
Old 08-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Teching In

i bought one to, i recomend it
Old 08-19-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

its the connector closest to the battery. The one with the dark orange ends on it. I think the letters I used are H and J. I can check if you need me to.
Hope this helps.....
Old 08-19-2005, 08:04 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

If you follow my instructions you can't go wrong. Mines been wired that way for years. If you use the 3 position switch, it allows for fans off, fans low, fans high. You could use a 2 position switch and have only off and either low or high. One of the poles on the switch will be your ground, and if you decide to have both high and low speeds (3 position switch) you will need to solder a bridge between the two sides to provide a ground for both wires.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Thanks, guys. So I'm assuming you don't need to use resistors to keep the SES light from coming on like the lt1s needed?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

i bought my switch off of ebay as did a buddy of mine its a great piece comes with wires switch and (2) led's lights so you can tell when they are one it was like $30-$40 bucks. but this was like over a year ago