Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best exhaust set up with center mount system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's the best exhaust set up with center mount system?

I currently have a 2002 camaro SS running with the slp loudmouth system on the slp center mount exhaust setup. I have been having rattling noises coming from the rear exhaust tips area and its driving me nuts. It rattles upon deceleration (when i let off the gas and the rpms are coming back down) pretty much through every gear. I even had the tips re-enforced in the center. I had to pay to get the tips removed then taken to a shop that does aluminum welding (because the tips are aluminum, what a pain) then have the tips re-welded back onto the car again.

I have taken it to a local chevy service dept and they told me that its normal drivetrain noise. That is ridiculous. It sounds really really bad. Many of my buddies have SS's and a couple of them have loudmouths and it doesnt sound like that. This problem started about the beginning of this year but I have had this setup/exhaust for the past almost two years.

I have taken it to two exhaust shops and they both told me that its not a rattling noise. It sounds almost like a rattling noise. Its the noise of air being sucked back in after the exhaust lets it out. Mainly because the loudmouth isnt really a muffler but a straight through and the way the center mount is set up.

Oh and by the way, you cant really hear it inside the cab. You can only hear it ouside the car when either someone is revving it for you or while driving.

So does anyone have this same set up? Any problems like mine? Is there a better sounding exhaust system out there that would sound loud like the loudmouth but with the center mount setup?

Thanks anyone, sorry its so long.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure it isn't the exhaust pipe (axle arch) buzzing the
gas tank heat shield? Mine did that after the first time
I swapped Y-pipe and needed rehung with more clearance.
Roughly right area, anyway.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated, check all of the heat shielding where it goes over the axle...a sound clip would be helpful. If you pay for my plane ticket, I'd come over and check it out myself
Old 08-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Launching!

i ran this exhaust from '02 until a couple of months ago and very rarely when i stuck the clutch in at low speed did i get a slight rattle/clunk, it was either the tips or the over the axle pipe and with my new LTs and custom Y, i haven't really noticed an increase or decrease in the frequency of the noise so i dunno what to tell ya.........
Old 08-23-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had that setup with a Magnaflow instead of LM. I did get some rattle too. Since my car was stolen 5 weeks ago and I'm looking at an LE with CME I'm going to leave the SLP muffler alone. I'll put headers on and maybe a cutout, hopefully that won't produce any rattles...they are a beach to track down.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

No rattles here w my CME setup.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Teching In

ok, thanks for all the input guys. ill double check the over the axle and heat shielding again.