Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uhhhh, help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uhhhh, help?

I put in a set of Bosch Platinums in a week or so ago, gapped at .060". They smoothed the idle out, but around 5500-6000 rpm, it pinged a little. It went away in a day or so, so I didn't think anything else of it.

Welp, I put a lid on yesterday(my first real mod, woohoo!), and it now idles even better, comes off a hard rev quicker, and when I hammer down from 3k in 1st, it feels like somebody rear-ending the car(more so than before).

Now to my problem. Remember that ping I mentioned? Well, it's back more than before, in the same rpm range. Is this also something that the computer can take care of, or am I gonna have to let a tuner loose on it?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:31 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Well, the computer will take care of it by pulling timing. Might be crappy gas.Could be oil mist coming in by the PCV valve, could be carbon build up in the combustion chambers. Might try some GM top engine cleaner. I like the aerosol type because it helps get rid of oil in the intake. Just unbolt the MAF and spray it in the TB while holding a slightly high idle. You will get the SES light on, (from having the MAF unplugged) but it will clear itself after a while.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Launching!

get some ngk's!
Old 08-29-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Bosch platinums??

I can tell you from experience that bosch is the worst thing to put in an american car. The tip(platinum)is so small that if you have ANY oil consumption, issues w/ fuel mixture, anything to stick in front of the electrode, the plug quits. I've also had alot of performance problems. I run the ac delco plugs in GM cars period. Just thought I'd put that out there.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would take every spark plug out and look for cracks. sometimes there might be a bad spark plug that has been damaged somewhere along the line. i had a similar experience when i hit past 3k the car would not perform and after a spark plug change, then it seemed ok but i figure i would check all the plugs and sure enough i had a small crack in one of them. just check them out and use that as an excuse to swap them for some ngk.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gwj
Well, the computer will take care of it by pulling timing. Might be crappy gas.Could be oil mist coming in by the PCV valve, could be carbon build up in the combustion chambers.

Will the computer remember the pulled timing at high rpm?

Gaswise, I did put a can of B12 Chemtool in the last tank to clean the injectors and stuff, so that could be all it is.

As far as the Bosch plugs sucking, I'll remember that when it comes time to change these. Might even get me some of them fancy iridium plugs for $12... EACH.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ric
Will the computer remember the pulled timing at high rpm?

Gaswise, I did put a can of B12 Chemtool in the last tank to clean the injectors and stuff, so that could be all it is.

As far as the Bosch plugs sucking, I'll remember that when it comes time to change these. Might even get me some of them fancy iridium plugs for $12... EACH.
You don't need the $12 plugs get a set of NGKtr55 there about $1.85 each. What octane do you run?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

At least 91... most places here have 92 or better.