Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hmmm last header bolt wont go on

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hmmm last header bolt wont go on

i just wanted to know if it was a problem to have one of the bolts on my passenger side header not on the whole way (1/8 inch gap between it and the header) all the other bolts went on fine, this one however was not very easy to put on. it started out fine, but i think it was slightly off the threads b/c 1/2 way through it got really tight. i tried repossitioning it, but that just wouldnt work. i'm not really worried about the heads, as i'm prolly gonna replace them, but i just wanted to make sure it was ok to have one of the bolts not compleetly flush with the header. there is no leak or anthing, so its not hurting anything right?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its not going in all the way, there's something wrong. try putting a stud in there or running a tap in the whole. IF you can't do any of those things, then I would at least het a crap load of washers and put them between the bolt's head and the header flange.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

grrr...i really dont want to but if you think thats what i have to do i will... any other sugestions?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try running a tap through there like he said. I had the same problem on one bolt (using stock bolts), it would just stop right at the end. So I used one of the shorter bolts that came with the headers.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

maybe that hole isnt as deep. that might be why the header bolts are shorter.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Welcolm to the cross threaded header bolt!!! I bet there are a **** load of them out there,LOL. At this point you have few options....leave it as is and hope it doesn't leak,as mentioned earlier, remove the bolt and install a few small washers to seat it against the header flange(most logical at this point),and last but not least you can always remove the head and re tap the hole......
Old 09-06-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

try redoing all the bolts. put the back one in first, then the front one. once you get those you should be good. i had a similiar prolbem like that and that's how i got it in.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:36 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Welcolm to the cross threaded header bolt!!! I bet there are a **** load of them out there,LOL. At this point you have few options....leave it as is and hope it doesn't leak,as mentioned earlier, remove the bolt and install a few small washers to seat it against the header flange(most logical at this point),and last but not least you can always remove the head and re tap the hole......
Yeah. And it doesn't help that the stock bolts have some kind of sealer on them. When I put mine on, I had 2 or 3 that did not want to thread in straight on the pass side. I dropped the header back off and took a bolt w/lots of PB Blaster on it and threaded in and out to remove any crap in there, spraying blaster in each time I removed the bolt. Still ended up going with slightly shorter bolts on a couple 'cause the torque was getting incredible on the stockers and I was not going to try to get any broke bolts out. Was a Sunday & couldn't get a tap. BTW, if you are careful, you don't need to remove anything but the header to re-tap, just use lots of lubricant and don't try to thread the tap all the way in one shot.
Luck,
Gerald
Old 09-06-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

My stock headbolts were unbelievably difficult to put back in after installing the headers (new bolts) Then another set of bolts was even harder to put in my new heads. I tried backing them out and putting them back but at a certain point they just seemed stuck and I really had to reef on them for the last 360 or so. I mean REALLY use alot of power and a 1/2 inch driver. I did not cross thread any of them but I was afraid one would break. I had to re-use two of them too. Why does GM sell them in packs of 5 anyway ?
Old 09-06-2005, 08:37 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Originally Posted by Mirek
Why does GM sell them in packs of 5 anyway ?
They figure you'll get lucky on at least one.
J/K. I didn't know that. Do the new ones come with any kind of sealer on the threads?
Old 09-06-2005, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

I had the same problem with that exact hole. A quick run to the hardware store to get a tap and the problem was solved.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default lots of power

Originally Posted by Mirek
My stock headbolts were unbelievably difficult to put back in after installing the headers (new bolts) Then another set of bolts was even harder to put in my new heads. I tried backing them out and putting them back but at a certain point they just seemed stuck and I really had to reef on them for the last 360 or so. I mean REALLY use alot of power and a 1/2 inch driver. I did not cross thread any of them but I was afraid one would break. I had to re-use two of them too. Why does GM sell them in packs of 5 anyway ?
first time I changed my spark plugs at 45K miles I was amazed how much strengh was required to get the plugs out.(car was started and warmed a bit
but not hot I thought this would ease the plugs out)
is GM using header bolt sealant on the plugs to?
and can this header bolt sealant be easily cleaner off for reusing these header bolts and the just anti sieze same stuff on spark plugs?
Thanks
Old 09-06-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok cool, thanks for the suggestions. ive contacted some friends, and when i have some spare time, ill go and get it taken care of.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:47 PM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

Crossed Threads Are Better Then No Threads.... Lol Just Kidding I Would Try Another Bolt Or Like Everyone Else Said Run A Tap See If That Works...
Old 09-06-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

so is it cool if i run it in its current possition for a few days?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NviouSS
try redoing all the bolts. put the back one in first, then the front one. once you get those you should be good. i had a similiar prolbem like that and that's how i got it in.
Good idea, let me tell ya!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

so is it cool if i run it in its current possition for a few days?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would at least get some cheapy washers from Home depot. I see exhaust leak in your future if it isn't torqued down evenly and correctly.

D
Old 09-07-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DanWS6
I had the same problem with that exact hole. A quick run to the hardware store to get a tap and the problem was solved.
werd me too, except it was four holes 2 on each head
Old 09-07-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok well thanks guys

Quick Reply: hmmm last header bolt wont go on