Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil between header gasket and head?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil between header gasket and head?

i checked my header bolts again today b/c im paranoid like that, and i noticed some oil between the header gasket and head...i took the header bolts out and one of them had oil on it? as if it came from inside the head...there 5.3 heads with stg 1.5 work done...just wanted to know if this can be at all normal? one thing though, i took the valve covers off a week ago to double check the rocker arms, could have spilled alil oil and got onto the head, but i figured that would have burned off...noticed this on both heads...any idea's?

Jon
Old 09-12-2005, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

Could it be a leaky valve cover gasket?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
Could it be a leaky valve cover gasket?
dont know, its possible it could be, but i would think b/c of the heat, the oil would just burn off...im hoping that its not a sign of a cracked head! if so i will be alil upset!!!

Jon
Old 09-12-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. My vote is a leaky valvecover gasket. Pull the valvecover and see if the gasket is twisted. If so, you may be able to twist it back into the groove without buying a new one. If you do need a new one, they're relatively cheap.

My car came from the factory with a twisted valve cover gasket. Didn't start leaking till ~35-40K miles.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Yup. My vote is a leaky valvecover gasket. Pull the valvecover and see if the gasket is twisted. If so, you may be able to twist it back into the groove without buying a new one. If you do need a new one, they're relatively cheap.

My car came from the factory with a twisted valve cover gasket. Didn't start leaking till ~35-40K miles.
alright, thanks for confirming the possibility..ill check it tomorrow and see, as well as check those header bolts on that side again just in case the oil seeped through the gasket and head again...try to clean all that off..thanks again

Jon