Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need to quiet down my H/C/Kooks/LSX90/Corsa set-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy I need to quiet down my H/C/Kooks/LSX90/Corsa set-up

Can someone offer advice as to what kind of bullet will work and where I should put it? I'm running the Corsa exhaust behind the Kooks. I-pipe?

I don't wanna go tearing into $2000 worth of exhaust without getting some reeeeeeeeeeeally good advice

I went from my stock LS6 intake, Jantzer S2, and Hooker off-road headers to the LSX90/90, and Kooks 1 7/8" . . . R E A L L Y FREAKING LOUD

Here's most of the go-fast stuff:

Stage 2 Un-milled Heads with a stock Compression Ratio | TSP 237/242 MS3 cam | F.A.S.T. LSX 90mm Red Intake Manifold | Kooks 1 7/8”, 3” Y | Corsa | Meziere EWP 160* | LPE 3 1/2" Aluminum Driveshaft | F.A.S.T. 90 mm TB | De-screened MAF | TSP Clear Lid-K&N | ASP Crank Pulley | LS6 Ported Oil Pump | Racetronix Fuel Pump | Rollmaster Double-Roller Timing Chain | NGK Plugs-MSD'S | Crane Valvetrain with PP .650 lift springs
Old 09-15-2005, 12:07 AM
10 Second Club

bullet OR XR1 in the I pipe would quiet it down and not affect flow. the XR1 is going to do more than the bullet but either one would do the job.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by BrianC98Z28
bullet OR XR1 in the I pipe would quiet it down and not affect flow. the XR1 is going to do more than the bullet but either one would do the job.
Cool. Forgot to mention that I also have a Lingenfelter 3 1/2" aluminum drive-shaft. The shop that did my work, whom also A$$-RAPED me for labor - 60% the price I payed for all my parts , gave my car back to me with a clearance issue in the exhaust. I suspect that it's drive-shaft/I-pipe clearance issues since I had the same thing corrected with the Hookers set-up.

Is it gonna sound raspy or nasty with the bullet or XR1?

Will this further cause a clearance issue with the driveshaft?

I don't have to cut the exhaust or Y-pipe for this do I?

Thanks for responding so fast!

Old 09-15-2005, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Also forgot to ask, how much does a Borla XR1 cost? I'd like to find the best price since I just came out of pocket quite a few thousand dollars
Old 09-15-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

A bullit or XR1 in the I pipe is not gonna quiet the tone down by much at all. Add a set of highflow cats to your Y pipe and be happy.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
A bullit or XR1 in the I pipe is not gonna quiet the tone down by much at all. Add a set of highflow cats to your Y pipe and be happy.
Are you sure it won't help a bit with a bullet or XR1? As much as I'll hate the power loss I might entertain that cat suggestion. I'll say it again . . . I can't BELIEVE how loud it got!!! Don't get me wrong . . . I picked up CRAZY torque all over the place with these mods . . . I just want a volume control mod
Old 09-16-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will venture to say the XR-1 will help more than the bullit muffler. They are still pretty much straight through designs that won't make much impact on overall volume control. I've ran an 18" dynomax bullit in a few different exhaust setups and while it does help somewhat, it's not gonna do what you describe. I DD my SS alot and finally added cats to get rid of the raw and raspy ORY sound.

These might help your decision...... Cam, LT's ORY Bullit in I pipe Corsa

http://dodds.cc/chad/garage/z28/ls1_..._WS6-idle.mpeg

http://dodds.cc/chad/garage/z28/ls1_...-slow-rev.mpeg

http://dodds.cc/chad/garage/z28/ls1_..._WS6-revs.mpeg
Old 09-16-2005, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm picking up a Corsa catback as we speak. I'm running LT's and ORY and will admit that I'm a little worried about just how loud the car will be once it's cammed. However, I do have an old Moroso SpiralFlow I'm not using at the moment, and have considered welding it into the i-pipe just in case it does need to be tamed down a bit. It should also deepen the tone a bit. Just my idea though...
Old 09-18-2005, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

I guess I should elaborate on the set-up from which I came before all the upgraded mods.

I had a full bolt-on H/C LS1 before the Kooks, LSX, and MS3 etc.

I had a TSP 231/237 (not a mild cam ) before with the same heads I have now. Just went to a slightly bigger header, with a slightly bigger intake, and a bigger cam.

On the old set-up, my exhaust note was AWESOME and much quieter than it is now. He!! . . . I could almost whisper to the passenger and they could hear me There was no interior drone.

Now the exhaust has gotten MUCH louder across the entire rpm and at all throttle positions except for idle.

I just couldn't imagine the exhaust would change that much without having modified the heads further then their current stage 2

Oh well . . . I'll live with it for now . . . I'm just worried about my neighbors and local law enforcement