Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single chamber flowmaster.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Single chamber flowmaster.........

u guys think its possible to install one in the I pipe without having to bang something underneath?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't work. Or at least it didn't when I tried. I ended up using a Moroso SpiralFlow, just fit perfectly and sounded better IMO.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

u couldnt get it too fit??? i just want to run headers ORYP no cats and a single chamber flow. how does that moroso sound? whats your exhaust setup???
Old 09-16-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kbronSS
u couldnt get it too fit??? i just want to run headers ORYP no cats and a single chamber flow. how does that moroso sound? whats your exhaust setup???

The Moroso sounds nice and deep and smooth...just like a Borla XR1, kind of quiet, but it purrs. My set up was Pacesetter LT's/ORY, then 3" tubing running to a dumped Spiralflow. Sounded MEAN...made my stock car sound cammed. Now I picked up a Corsa catback, will try that out, and will most likely end up welding the Moroso into the I-pipe.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i want it loud, but i dont like how the ORYP LM combo sounds. (all of this is with no cats) i guess ill stay with the flow 80......but ill just have to give a shot to the single chamber.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Why not run the 1 chamber where the 80 series is and just run a single outlet on the drivers side? But I don't see why it wouldn't fit with the I-pipe. Any decent muffler shop could make it work. When I had 3" TD's with 1 chambers, they were mounted almost under the rear seats, so there is room to make them fit.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know there has to be a way...
Old 09-16-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Flowmaster = ****. I have a Dynomax 24" in my I pipe to control drone, works great. I've got a cut out right behind it. It is a straight flow through design.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

you can fit a single chamber under the floor where the resonator is in the LM, but you have to bang the floor up some to get it to fit. I know this for a fact as I replaced the resonator in my LM with a 1 chamber, but trust me when I say the bitch is loud and sounds like ****. If you don't like the LM with headers and orp you will not like the Headers with an orp and 1 chambers.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigdsz
Flowmaster = ****. I have a Dynomax 24" in my I pipe to control drone, works great. I've got a cut out right behind it. It is a straight flow through design.
What do you base that on? I agree, the 80 series does suck, but the 1-chambers flow plenty!

I'm with LS69TA, I have 3" duals w/ 1-chambers under the floorboards, and I didnt have to beat in the floorboard, theres gotta be a way to get it to fit.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know i always wondered if you could do that. the first time i heard a 1 chamber is on my buddys 98 gt. off road h and 1 chambers. it was friggin loud. it was funny too cuz i live in an apartment complex and when he started it the whole damn parking lot must have vibrated. i wonder if that one flows better than the other flow master mufflers.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wasn't directly refering to any specific Flowmaster. For many years it has been a well known fact that Flowmasters are quite restrictive in their flow and cost substantial hp. I am not familiar with specific mufflers as I would not install any flowmaster product on my cars, especially when there are so many other good products out there.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i personally think that flowmaster sounds the best. ooops, did i just say that???
but yeah, the only other exhaust that i like is of course gmmg$$$$$$$$$
but, i will not put cats on my car again, so i dont know how gmmg will sound with no cats. the only other one i kind of liked was the LM, but i had manifolds and cats. i know ill get bashed for the flowmaster support, but i love how it sounds, the 80 series. but i still want it louder.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flowmasters are not bad mufflers. They're just not a good cross flow muffler. If you're gonna compare a straight through muffler vs. any "turbo" muffler the straight through muffler is gonna win every time. So basically, if you want all out flow and don't care about sound go with a "bullet" muffler. This is funny everybody hated these mufflers in the past.....Of course they used to be called glass packs or cherry bombs. They still sound like *** to me though. I think with a good dual set up you can still have good power through a set of flowmasters. I've had both set ups on different cars. So flame on!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S1LV3R
Flowmasters are not bad mufflers. They're just not a good cross flow muffler. If you're gonna compare a straight through muffler vs. any "turbo" muffler the straight through muffler is gonna win every time. So basically, if you want all out flow and don't care about sound go with a "bullet" muffler. This is funny everybody hated these mufflers in the past.....Of course they used to be called glass packs or cherry bombs. They still sound like *** to me though. I think with a good dual set up you can still have good power through a set of flowmasters. I've had both set ups on different cars. So flame on!!!
I agree, a straight through design like the bullet muffler is the least restricive muffler out there, however, I think they would be best used on an exhaust w/ cats, since they would be the 1st point of restriction, no need for a second. If your running w/o cats, especially a 3" setup, I dont think there is anything lost going with a set of flowmasters or similar mufflers. As far as sound goes, I hafta agree, the bullet style mufflers dont have a great sound to them.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4.6gt-2-ls1ta
you can fit a single chamber under the floor where the resonator is in the LM, but you have to bang the floor up some to get it to fit. I know this for a fact as I replaced the resonator in my LM with a 1 chamber, but trust me when I say the bitch is loud and sounds like ****. If you don't like the LM with headers and orp you will not like the Headers with an orp and 1 chambers.
Is it dumped or routed all the way back? I have Kooks LTs, off road 3"y with a loudmouth. I was thinking of throwing the 1 chamber is where the res is and use everything else existing.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

it was ran all the way out of the car just like a regular LM is, but now it is true duals dumped with the LM tailpipes hanging mounted solid. I didn't want any open spots in my rear bumper so I left the tails.