Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pcv home made oil separator

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pcv home made oil separator

I made this homemade oil separator but i dont know which way the fuel filters go since the fuel filters i got are different. I dont know how the flow should go you know. I just need to know how to put the fuel filters. If you look at Illustration 4 i need to know if the flow is supposed to go towards the intake manifold or towards the pcv valve.

http://www.hovis.cc/Firebird_HTML/pcv_mod.htm

Last edited by 01formulafromthebay; 09-20-2005 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 01formulafromthebay
I made this homemade oil separator but i dont know which way the fuel filters go since the fuel filters i got are different. I dont know how the flow should go you know. I just need to know how to put the fuel filters. If you look at Illustration 4 i need to know if the flow is supposed to go towards the intake manifold or towards the pcv valve.

http://www.hovis.cc/Firebird_HTML/pcv_mod.htm

Doesn't matter. The fuel filters are like coffee screens & will flow either way. To check this, blow into each filter from both sides, if air doesn't pass through in one direction, then you got a problem. Air should flow in both directions. Because air will flow in either direction, you don't have to worry about backward installation. Flow travels from the valve covers, to the PCV valve, through the filters, & into the TB/manifold in illistration 4.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a single, plastic fuel filter presently but it is
(IMO) better than the one shown there in the web
document. Reason being, I selected one where the
inlet and outlet are inline on the top, and there's
a bowl below for the oil to collect in. But so far I
haven't caught any.

Anyhow, I would place it so the oil has to climb
uphill to get to the intake. And orient it so air ->
intake is the flow arrow direction.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured that the flow direction would be towards the intake but the Instructions led me to belive it was the other way around with all there upstream and downstream crap. I just got done putting it on and took my car around the block and i already can see oil starting to build up no BS. the ticking went away and my car was a loud ticker. Also on a side note my buddy said that my exust had a strong gas smell when I got on it and went by him is that anything to worry about.

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Pcv home made oil separator