Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to convert to 02 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to convert to 02 exhaust

I have a quick question. I am looking to do an exhaust buildup and do not want to weld anything. If I go with race style headers can I just get the 02 headers and then just bolt everything up. I thought this should work since I no longer have to work with egr or AIR system. The 98 exhaust has to weld up to the headers and y-pipe from what I heard and I want to be able to do this myself and I can't weld. Would doing this work?
Old 09-30-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

the differences (as far as welding) between 98 to 02 exhaust is irrelevant when you go to long tubes. 00-02 cars have manifolds, cats with bolted flanges and y-pipe will ball joints on both sides. Earlier cars dont have the ball joint connection on one side, so that requires the cut and weld if you want to change y-pipes. BUT since you're going with long tube headers, none of that makes any difference since you're replacing it all... the only difference in LT's from year to year is the emissions fittings. If you still have emissions (EGR AIR) you need to get the headers for your year, they will still have slip fit (clamp) connections even if they are headers for 98 etc. If you dont have any of the emissions gear, get race headers so you dont have to mess with block off plates.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Ahh okay I didn't think about that so basically there will be no welding required as long as you change the whole exhaust including the y-pipe. Didnt think about that. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

my hedman LT's for my 99 have the ball type flange