Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Long tubes x2

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Long tubes x2

sorry i think ive posted one like this before...but i was looking under the hood to see what i will have to move around in order to install these long tubes. keep in mind my experience with cars is limited and i have done very little work to mine. i hear that i will have to take out the oil dipstick which im guessing can be unscrewed or popped off, and i heard i have to take off the coil packs which look to me like it wont be a problem. however, i came across this metal tubing that goes into the top of my exhaust manifold on both sides and is pretty stiff and wont budge. i no i will have to take them off but i dont no quite wat they are...any help? Id like to no what im disconnecting before i actually do it. Mine are covered in a tough black cloth material if that helps any?? any thoughts? thanks
Old 10-04-2005, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is your car? Those tubes are AIR/EGR depending on the year.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you been over to LS1HOWTO.COM? Have a good source of info that might help you out, as well. For the install, there is a bit more involved in a header install. It is very easy to run into problems. Did you get the correct headers for you car, EGR/Air tubes use or block off ect. Y pipe, o2s what are you going to do, keep them or delete-them, use sims?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
Have you been over to LS1HOWTO.COM? Have a good source of info that might help you out, as well. For the install, there is a bit more involved in a header install. It is very easy to run into problems. Did you get the correct headers for you car, EGR/Air tubes use or block off ect. Y pipe, o2s what are you going to do, keep them or delete-them, use sims?
They don't have a write up for a F-body header install. Let's not make him afraid to do a header swap now
Old 10-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Teching In

i'm gonna hopefully buy sims, and its an '01...whats egr stand for?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Those tubes are the air injection tubes. They have a pair of bolts, each, that are screwed into the top of each exhaust manifolt. Remove these four and the tubes can come off, and moved out of the way. EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Your car does not have it, so don' t worry about it.

Depending on the headers you have you may have to go as far as dropping the suspension crossmember, the starter, steering shaft, dipstick, valve covers, coil packs, and some other stuff. I have had MACs on my car, and they were a PITA!!! My QTPs were FAR easier, believe it or not. I guess you get what you pay for. It would be helpful to know what brand you have
Old 10-04-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was not trying to scare him. Just giving him items that need to be thought about before diving into it.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

check out this write-up
http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=57

On my qtp's i didnt have to lower the tranny, or disconect the steering shaft

But, that will depend on the headers you bought. Also, I can't stress enough having the bottom of the car ATLEAST 20 inches of the ground, and higher if possible! This will GREATLY simplify the install of your headers!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Teching In

aright thanks guys...their pacesetters by the way
Old 10-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Teching In

The passenger side header in the back and the back passenger coil pack bolt were my biggest hold ups. The dipstick does have to come off as did my steering knuckle and the piece that is attached to the oil filter stub. It's not hard if you have a lift but trying to do it on jack stands is not too fun. It's pretty easy but time consuming. It took me and a friend just over 8 hours to install. Good luck with the install.