Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Cat Removal?

My exhaust setup is in the sig. If I wanted to remove a cat to weld in a bung do I have to completely remove the y-pipe, or can I just disconnect it at the cats and push it either up or down to remove the one cat? In other words, remove the nuts and or bolts holding the cat to the shorty header collector, remove the nuts and bolts holding the y-pipe to both cats, push y-pipe up or down for clearnace to remove cat?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone? Do u have to remove the y-pipe completely to remove a cat?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Predator
Anyone? Do u have to remove the y-pipe completely to remove a cat?
wouldn't it just be easier to crawl under your car and take a peek?

I mean how we supposed to know how you had it installed.

If it's off the shelf, I suspect the CATS and Y are one peice. But it might not be.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

I have a separate RT (Random Tech) y-pipe, and the individual cats (RT) are bolted to the y-pipe with two bolts and nuts. It's pretty much how the stock setup is except I have substituted RT y-pipe and cats. I looked under the car but still wasn't sure. I removed the brace that goes over the y-pipe.

Let me put it this way, if a car was completely stock, what would be the easiest procedure for removing just one cat?

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

BTW, I know that Helms manual says to remove the y-pipe to remove a stock cat, but I was wondering if it was really necessary. The Helms manual doesn't always give the easiest procedure. I'll get it one way or the other, just trying to make things easier on myself.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Predator
I have a separate RT (Random Tech) y-pipe, and the individual cats (RT) are bolted to the y-pipe with two bolts and nuts. It's pretty much how the stock setup is except I have substituted RT y-pipe and cats. I looked under the car but still wasn't sure. I removed the brace that goes over the y-pipe.

Let me put it this way, if a car was completely stock, what would be the easiest procedure for removing just one cat?
Thanks.
a high lift, a big hammer and a lot of swearing normally does the trick.

You will have to at least lossen the whole system so you can move it back, else you'll never get the cats out. But you may have to drop it completely, there's no way of really knowing until you try.

Plan on having to drop the whole thing, that way you won't be dissapointed if you have too.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
a high lift, a big hammer and a lot of swearing normally does the trick.

^^^^ that always works for me
Old 10-13-2005, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks, appreciate the help. I was hoping for some miracle simple trick, but it sounds like business as usual. In fact I don't think it's worth the trouble. I'll probably just use my rear O2 sensor bung to see if my PE/WOT a/f is consistent across the rpm range.

Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

A high lift is necessary?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

BTW 300bhp/ton, you seem to know a lot about high-flow cats. Do you think that RT high-flow cats would effect a wide-band O2 reading less than stock cats? The common knowledge is that you mount a wb O2 sensor pre-cat, but it seems that the assumption is that the cats are stock. Do high-flow cats, with a wb mounted after the cat, give more accurate readings than mounting after a stock cat?

Thanks.