Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cut-out gains on big cube motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cut-out gains on big cube motors

Wondering how much power people have seen on the dyno (and the track) using dual cut-outs (actually electric)?

Exhaust = 1 7/8 kooks, no cats, x pipe and stock zo6 exh.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fell
Wondering how much power people have seen on the dyno (and the track) using dual cut-outs (actually electric)?

Exhaust = 1 7/8 kooks, no cats, x pipe and stock zo6 exh.

Title says 'big cubes' - WHERE???

Whats the engine?

READ THE STICKY ABOUT EXHAUSTS.

It tells you how to create a ZERO loss system, if it's ZERO loss then a cut out will do diddley squat. If it's a restrictive setup a cut out MAY help but it MAY not, depends where the restriction is.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you sir, you are a big help.

If you cannot answer the question, please dont.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fell
Thank you sir, you are a big help.

If you cannot answer the question, please dont.
I suppose I should answer with F*@k You!

But I won't.

You asked a question and failed to supply all the info. I responded by asking about the missed info. I also told you where you can get a COMPLETE answer and offered some guidance.

And I shall sitck with my answer.

The only obvious restriction is going to be the stock mufflers (provided they are still stock????). However I have no idea what they flow at. It may be that they flow enough that a cut out would offer some where between 1-3rwhp. However if they are restictive then you may see ~20rwhp or so. Who knows. With out the data there is no way of guessing.

Engine cc has nothing to do with it. However assuming the mufflers are the restriction, you could simply weld in some new better flowing mufflers. This way you'd get all the benifits of a cutout, without the noise or the hassle and you'll have the extra power all the time.

Use this as a guide. 2.2cfm for every 1hp.

THIS IS ALL IN THE STICKY I ALREADY MENTIONED.

If you don't like it, tough go stick it some where.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good sir, while I do appreciate your sticky theory/information, I was asking if anyone had specific info/real life results. I see that you do not. I do thank you for your input.

As for 'welding in' different mufflers, it is far easier on a corvette to actually bolt them in. I actually had GHL's and went back to the stock zo6 exhaust. There is a method to my madness.

I do disagree that cubic inches have nothing to do with it. My motor can move substantially more air than a 130 cubic inch motor, or even the 346's.

Has anyone dyno'd a 422/427+ with and without cutouts? If so, what were the results?

Last edited by Greg Fell; 10-14-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know vince has with a 408 and picked up a good amount, 10rwhp i believe ? As far as 422/427, no Idea, sorry dude