Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making mac's equal pacesetters??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making mac's equal pacesetters??

i bought a set of used mac mids and y pipe, simply because it was relatively cheap and couldnt pass them up.. i bought a new flowmaster y collector ( the mac one was bent) and ive heard about grinding down the welds at the top of the header (where they bolt to the head). my question is w/ the new collector and grinding down the welds, will that equal the power of pacesetters or even increase the mac's abilities??

also i drive a 98 A4 ws6 - ls6 intake, bbk 80mm tb, slp maf, slp lid, and the exhaust will be ran out of a cut out.. what kind of power increase can i expect to find with these and an asp underdrive pully.. my last #'s were 316/326

thanks,
dustin
Old 11-10-2005, 10:54 AM
dug
Banned

At least 20rwhp and 15ft/lbs torque. They make power. Just look at them. Everything is a straight shot without any sharp bends. I think the 2.5" ypipe hurts them but then again people run 2.5" duals without any losses.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dug
At least 20rwhp and 15ft/lbs torque. They make power. Just look at them. Everything is a straight shot without any sharp bends. I think the 2.5" ypipe hurts them but then again people run 2.5" duals without any losses.
gases flow round bends perfectly fine. You can not simply look at it and say yes it flows well.

2.5" duals will flow double that of a 2.5" Y. There are 2 pipes with a dual and each pipe only has to contend with 4 cylinders, as opposed to 8 with the Y pipe.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ktktransam
i bought a set of used mac mids and y pipe, simply because it was relatively cheap and couldnt pass them up.. i bought a new flowmaster y collector ( the mac one was bent) and ive heard about grinding down the welds at the top of the header (where they bolt to the head). my question is w/ the new collector and grinding down the welds, will that equal the power of pacesetters or even increase the mac's abilities??

also i drive a 98 A4 ws6 - ls6 intake, bbk 80mm tb, slp maf, slp lid, and the exhaust will be ran out of a cut out.. what kind of power increase can i expect to find with these and an asp underdrive pully.. my last #'s were 316/326

thanks,
dustin
in simple answer, yes if you are going from stock to mid manifolds you will see a gain. However there is no real said amount. Has your car even been tuned, because with all the other mods listed plus new headers it would benefit from a tune.

And no the mids ultimatley will not produce as much power as Pacesetters. This is beacause the Pacesetters are long tube headers and the primaries are longer. For a more technical explanation take a look at the sticky about exhaust and mods. There is some really good info about headers in there.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:29 AM
dug
Banned

Id rather have pacesetters too but if you already got em might as well put them on.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

My stock internal car made more power/torque, and better track times with Mac's/duals than it did with Pacesetters/duals. Everything else about the setup was the same.