Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magic Self-Healing AIR System?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magic Self-Healing AIR System?

Hey guys, when I bought my Z28 in march of last year it was throwing error codes for the secondary air pump, the SES light was always on, and I was never able to figure out wtf was causing them - my best guess was the O2 sensors, which I was too lazy to replace. Well, I needed to take the car in for emissions and about a week before I went in I noticed that the SES light turned itself off - needless to say it passed too. I have no idea how or why, does anyone have any ideas? I dont need to know, i'm just curious how my car healed itself after a year
Old 01-14-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dreammmatt
Hey guys, when I bought my Z28 in march of last year it was throwing error codes for the secondary air pump, the SES light was always on, and I was never able to figure out wtf was causing them - my best guess was the O2 sensors, which I was too lazy to replace. Well, I needed to take the car in for emissions and about a week before I went in I noticed that the SES light turned itself off - needless to say it passed too. I have no idea how or why, does anyone have any ideas? I dont need to know, i'm just curious how my car healed itself after a year
Mine did the same thing a while back... about a month ago, i did LT's and True Duals (catted)... all emissions stuff is deleated now...
Old 01-14-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine does it sometimes too, I'm guessing the air pump is trying to take a **** on me.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

The SES light will turn itself off if the car goes x amount of drive cycles without the fault reoccuring.

Perhaps whatever caused the DTC is just at the begining of failure, and is still functioning intermittently.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Teching In

is there any way to reset the ses and o2s just for emissions testing? i failed emissions today because one of my o2s was not working. i am planning on having the codes deleted, but i want to install some things first before i get it dyno tuned. any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:44 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T$sMechamT/A
is there any way to reset the ses and o2s just for emissions testing? i failed emissions today because one of my o2s was not working. i am planning on having the codes deleted, but i want to install some things first before i get it dyno tuned. any suggestions?
Just take and have the codes deleted w/out a tune. It takes them about 3 minutes. They dont even have to put it on the dyno.

You can go to autozone, have them scan the code, then CLEAR it also. Then you can go have it inspected. Dont turn it off or just hope it doesnt come back on