Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GMMG true duals?

I already have their catback on my 2002 Z28, and I'm going to be buying some QTPs. I have been toying with the idea of taking one of Speed Inc's over the axle kits and putting the GMMG mufflers in. There aren't any exhaust shops near me that can do mandrel bending that I'm aware of, so I'm giving Speed Inc's kit a good look. Has anyone tried anything like this before, if so where can I find some sound clips? Is this even feasible? Thanks. *edit*Did a search and found out Speed Inc only does the TDs in-house, atleast I'm somewhat near them though*edit*

Last edited by Iron Sights; 01-17-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bump.

Nobody has attempted this?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when you say gmmg mufflers.. do you mean sweet thunders?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ba78ta
when you say gmmg mufflers.. do you mean sweet thunders?
I doubt it. I think he means basically using the GMMG muffler system, and instead of running a single pipe to it, run 2 pipes.

I havent heard of anyone doing this, but it might work. Being the pics Im looking at, it looks like there's a "collector" at the beginning of the system (where it goes over the axle) if you take that off, then run the pipes from the X on back over the axle to the pipes leading into each muffler, it could work.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was actually thinking of taking the mufflers (chambered sections if you are picky) and cutting them out of their current position and having Speed Inc. weld them in place of the mufflers that normally come with their kit. I'm thinking of making the cut just before the bulges directly after the curves. Does that sound about where the chambered sections begin and end? I'm not expecting to keep anything from the catback except the chambers and possibly the tips (just the regular ones, I don't have the ovals).
Old 01-18-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats an expensive system to go hacking up. I would just buy some chambered mufflers from stainless works and make the rear section like the GMMG. The GMMG could probably be sold and that money used to fund the project.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That really wouldn't be a problem...I'd just go with the Stainless Works 2.5" mufflers as stated above (the chambered ones).

Here's where they would go:

I think you'd have to stay with mufflers that were around 14-16" long.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I understand that, but I'm not interested in going through the process of selling it. I've never heard true duals with GMMG mufflers so I just want to try something different. As good as it sounds with a y-pipe, I am dying to hear what it sounds like with an X-pipe.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

So you're going to buy a $700 catback system from GMMG just so you can shop out the chambered mufflers and have them welded into a true dual setup?

Sorry, but that seems rather wasteful to me. If you'd like, you can buy the catback and send it to me. I'll send you two Sweet Thunder chambered mufflers in return.

In all seriousness, I see what you're trying to do, but there are MUCH better ways to go about it.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I already have the catback installed on my vehicle; I've had it for 6 months or so. I am just trying to do something different. If I didn't already have their catback then I would definitely consider some sweet thunders, but since I already have it I figured I might as well go with something different.

Last edited by Iron Sights; 01-18-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
I already have the catback installed on my vehicle; I've had it for 6 months or so. I am just trying to do something different. If I didn't already have their catback then I would definitely consider some sweet thunders, but since I already have it I figured I might as well go with something different. What type of mufflers does Speed Inc. use in their true dual systems? If they use sweet thunders then I can see not using the GMMG chambers I have now, but if not I would rather just use something I already have instead of buying new mufflers. I could have sworn I saw a picture of a setup like this about this time last year...
How about this. You can sell your GMMG no problem for $500, then put that money towards TD's.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

ill send you a sound clip of mine... i have true duals 2 1/2", x pipe, and sweet thunder chambered mufflers.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I heard that stainless works uses the same type of mufflers as GMMG, is this true? I am wanting a similar type of sound that GMMG produces but with TDs so I can take advantage of the HVMCs on the QTP headers.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm pretty sure Stainless Works supplies the Chambered mufflers to GMMG for their catbacks. So, either buy the SW Chambered mufflers or Sweet Thunder chambered mufflers, because they are EXACTLY THE SAME.

Do as others have suggested: sell the GMMG catback to finance the true duals and new chambered mufflers. There is no difference in what you will end up with, except some money in your pocket.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
That really wouldn't be a problem...I'd just go with the Stainless Works 2.5" mufflers as stated above (the chambered ones).

what TD system is this.? a custome one or the speed inc one?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I'm pretty sure Stainless Works supplies the Chambered mufflers to GMMG for their catbacks. So, either buy the SW Chambered mufflers or Sweet Thunder chambered mufflers, because they are EXACTLY THE SAME.

Do as others have suggested: sell the GMMG catback to finance the true duals and new chambered mufflers. There is no difference in what you will end up with, except some money in your pocket.
Sorry, but I don't believe that GMMG uses anyone elses chambered mufflers. From what we've heard from people that have called or spoken to them, they have their own materials in-house and use their own. Plus, the insides of the SW and Sweet Thunder chambered mufflers are different.

However, you do have a point here that others are bringing up as well: Iron Sights, it would be more beneficial for you to sell your current catback for $500, then use that money towards buying some Sweet Thunder mufflers and having a custom dual system fabbed up. You'll probably walk away with more money in your pocket. Plus, you can sell the GMMG to someone who really wants it instead of wasting such an incredible system. (I'd buy it, because I'm looking, but I don't have the money right now) Besides, simply using the GMMG chambered mufflers will not make it sound like the catback. True duals, by their nature, simply sound inherently and distinctly different from catbacks and a Y-pipe system. So using them for your dual system probably wouldn't work very well.

As we've said, just make some money by selling the GMMG to someone who's hunting for it, then use only part of that money for your own custom system. It will sound and look better.
Originally Posted by Iron Sights
I heard that stainless works uses the same type of mufflers as GMMG, is this true? I am wanting a similar type of sound that GMMG produces but with TDs so I can take advantage of the HVMCs on the QTP headers.
It's the same type, called the "chambered muffler", but not the same thing. If you want a GMMG-sound for your duals, go with the Sweet Thunders.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by slimcracka
what TD system is this.? a custome one or the speed inc one?
Both. It is the Speed Inc. custom system. They only do if you bring your car to them. If you'll notice my location, you'll see I went to great lengths to have this done.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MeentSS02

That looks really nice.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
That looks really nice.
Thanks...with it being all TIG welded and mandrel bent, it is a VERY nice system.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much would it run me to have your set-up meents?? i like it. any sound clips?