Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My duals w/single chambers

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My duals w/single chambers

My old setup was macs/ory/elec. cutout/ flowmaster catback. The old setup sounded ok, but was hella raspy and the open cutout only sounded good at idle and WOT. Most normal driving just sounded like a car with no muffler...ugly sounding, not clean at all. Through the catback sounded pretty good, but I could feel the power loss.

New setup......(Pics aren't great since the car's not up very high and my camera pretty much blows. The pics on the sawhorses are really blurry for some reason, but you get the idea.) I used coated pacesetter lt's, flowmaster smooth collector reducers, a 2.5" flowmaster x pipe kit, a few mandrel bends, and single chamber flowmaster mufflers dumped at the axle. I borrowed a flux-wire welder from a buddy (I haven't welded in a decade and flux wire blows anyhow....so shutup about the ugly welds....they don't leak! ) and did it all in my garage on jackstands in about a week working a couple hours a night.

This is by far the sickest sounding setup I've heard on an LS1 , and I've heart Sweet Thunders and bullets in person too. There's a tiny bit of interior resonance at 1800-2000rpm, but it's non-existant below and above that range. The rasp from 2200-2600 with the old setup is completely gone. Idle hits like someone is pounding on your chest and WOT is indescribable....all while being surprisingly docile at cruise. I can easily carry on a conversation or listen to the radio without cranking it up. I'm anxious to dyno it this spring, I can feel the power gain at every rpm and it seems to have worsened my !traction mod , making 1st gear and part of second basically useless at WOT. I need DR's bad!!! I wish I had a way to make a sound clip of it, everyone should hear it before deciding on mufflers for duals!!!
Attached Thumbnails My duals w/single chambers-duals002.jpg   My duals w/single chambers-duals004.jpg   My duals w/single chambers-duals006.jpg   My duals w/single chambers-duals007.jpg   My duals w/single chambers-duals008.jpg  

Old 02-08-2006, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

one more pic
Attached Thumbnails My duals w/single chambers-duals011.jpg  
Old 02-08-2006, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, I'm sure it sounds awesome. True duals dumped is the way to go.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to hear this setup, I loved flowmasters but heard they sound horrible on ls1's.

Get a vid up with the TD's
Old 02-08-2006, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00slpSS
I want to hear this setup, I loved flowmasters but heard they sound horrible on ls1's.

Get a vid up with the TD's

They sound better on an ls1 with duals than any other car I've heard them on, especially the one-chambers. I don't have a video camera, so no vid from me Someone in my area come tape this for me so everyone can hear it!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
They sound better on an ls1 with duals than any other car I've heard them on, especially the one-chambers.
I had them on my 02 Z28 (3") and it was the best sounding exhaust I've heard yet. I'll have the same setup on this car as well

Nice job on fabbing up the duals. It looks like you have good ground clearance too. I'm hoping my G2 springs don't put me so low that TD's will scrape on everything.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
They sound better on an ls1 with duals than any other car I've heard them on, especially the one-chambers.
Yes they do! I got this setup about a year ago when it first came out, and couldnt be happier! it sounds awesome! I get compliments all the time. Flowmaster crossover + 1-chambers =
Congrats, glad you like it!
Old 02-08-2006, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

ive got almost pretty much the same setup and i love the sound. i took a friend for a ride while another sat at my house waiting and he said he could here from about 2 1/2 miles away.

1st gear and part of second basically useless at WOT. I need DR's bad!!!
ive got nittos and I spin anywhere in 1st and 2nd and from a stop I can go through all 3 gears. Its cold here which doesnt help but they should hook in 75+ degree weather.

00slpSS-I loved flowmasters but heard they sound horrible on ls1's
omg no way they sound bad. ive got nothing but compliments about the sound. go to ls1 sounds there is a clip or two of the single chambers. Im bribing my little sister into taking a vid of the car so ill try to post later.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

i just uploaded them and it may take a couple of minutes

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....3-ABF1BD644C29

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....6-889E70827F5F
Old 02-08-2006, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28convert

That sounds good z28convert!..... but mine sounds completely different than that. I'm sure it has a lot to do with my cam and the fact that such a deep loud sound is hard to capture on video and replay on little computer speakers. I've listened to all the clips of single chambers on ls1sounds, and they sound nothing like hearing it in person. Very nice though!!! I need a videocamera!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell yeah man, doesn't look bad at all... Congrats on the new set-up, bet she sounds mean as hell with that cam.

Mike
Old 02-09-2006, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm working on getting a sound clip of this thing in the next couple weeks. I'll post up when I do!
Old 02-11-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice choice on your setup! I'm biased however. I love the way mine sounds. I ran them dumped for about a year and a half, but them I put tailpipes on it. I had the resonance that you mention at 1800 rpms when mine was dumped but when I ran it out the back, it completely eliminated it. Here is a sound clip of my car before I ran the tailpipes out the back. I gradually laid into the throttle. Brought it up to about 4500 in first and 5500 in second. Nice deep sound with no rasp.
my 99 SS
Old 02-11-2006, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

I don't know what you're talking about....besides those 3 tiny bends on the drives side by the 3-2 1/2" merger, the system looks awesome!! something to be proud of....ever since i heard an x-pipe setup, i've been thinking of switching myself from ORY/GMMG...your setup must sound sick though!!! clip would be nice haha
Old 02-12-2006, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Guys the clips sound f***in sick, and i'm sure they dont do it justice. All the blowmaster **** is stupid people who only know about the stupid 80 series, any other flowmaster sounds aweasome on any V8. I posted before about doing a single 3" 10 series but no one replied. Anybody seen this done?? I dont think anyone in my area is capable of welding up a good dual system. But how much are you guys paying for a true dual sysem header back??

P.S. My budy has a lifted fullsize blazer with a 327 vette engine 4.56 gears and lt's and dual 2 chamber flowmasters, and when he puts it in 4 low and puts it to the floor in some mud or climbing a hill, it makes peoples jaws drop it sounds so bad ***. FLOWMASTER IS THE SHIZNIT