Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f.a.s.t. vs. slp

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most used ls6's are going for 350 shipping on here...more on ebay
Then another $60.00 for the coolant crossover brings you to at least 410.
SLPonline is 400 and then 20 for shipping.
IMO I'll pay $10.00 more for a brand new intake.
Seems like a no brainer to me
Old 02-08-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Get the SLP LS6 non-egr, its $400 shipped right now from slponline.com and its brand new with everything you need for the conversion from an ls1 intake to an ls6. I have always stayed away from buying SLP parts directly from SLP and not through a sponsor as they are usually way more expensive but think about it, you can buy a used ls6, which could be chipped, damaged, etc, for 350+ shipped and still need to get the plugs and coolant lines or you can get everything brand new from slp for $400. I dunno I just dont like putting used parts on my car.
im the same way i dont like puting used parts on my car either but if u can find the right guy thats not trying to screw u on parts i dont see any problem with puting used parts on your car, u just have to do some searching and find the right person and maybe save yourself a lil money.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

yes yes yes 98Z28MASS thats what im talkin about buy some used part without all the plugs and lines the slp ls6 is the route thanks for all the help.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

What is the difference between "provisions" and "no provisions"?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's the hole you don't have to plug if you choose the non-provisioned (and cheaper) intake.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

so why do people remove the egr ?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Heads/Cam cars will benefit from the FAST manifold.

In your case, stay with the LS6 - 400hp is easily attainable with that manifold.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the SLP LS6 non-egr, its $400 shipped right now from slponline.com and its brand new with everything you need for the conversion from an ls1 intake to an ls6. I have always stayed away from buying SLP parts directly from SLP and not through a sponsor as they are usually way more expensive but think about it, you can buy a used ls6, which could be chipped, damaged, etc, for 350+ shipped and still need to get the plugs and coolant lines or you can get everything brand new from slp for $400. I dunno I just dont like putting used parts on my car.

I couldnt have said it better myself...
Old 02-09-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1charged
im the same way i dont like puting used parts on my car either but if u can find the right guy thats not trying to screw u on parts i dont see any problem with puting used parts on your car, u just have to do some searching and find the right person and maybe save yourself a lil money.

Right im not saying used parts are garbage, but when it comes to something like an intake manifold that is made of plastic composite im just sort of weary about buying it from a board member, especially when its as much if not more than a new one (when you factor in the coolant lines and coolant plugs). Other items such as used cylinder heads or headers, or catback i can see buying used as they are usually much cheaper than they retail new, but it seems that the price of used LS6 intakes just keeps increasing on this board and on ls1.com. I remember a year or 2 ago when used ls6's went for about $200-$250 shipped, but now with everyone asking for $350 bucks or more its just not worth it, especially since you could get a chipped/cracked intake or be scammed and get a used LS1 and not an LS6. JMO.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by URNZONEBAIT
so why do people remove the egr ?
People remove the EGR mainly to get rid of the weight of the EGR system as well as clean up the engine bay. Also I guess it flows slightly better too without the egr tube sticking down into the opening of the manifold and intruding into some of the air flow coming in from the throttle body and maf.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right im not saying used parts are garbage, but when it comes to something like an intake manifold that is made of plastic composite im just sort of weary about buying it from a board member, especially when its as much if not more than a new one (when you factor in the coolant lines and coolant plugs). Other items such as used cylinder heads or headers, or catback i can see buying used as they are usually much cheaper than they retail new, but it seems that the price of used LS6 intakes just keeps increasing on this board and on ls1.com. I remember a year or 2 ago when used ls6's went for about $200-$250 shipped, but now with everyone asking for $350 bucks or more its just not worth it, especially since you could get a chipped/cracked intake or be scammed and get a used LS1 and not an LS6. JMO.
yup, i totally agree with u on that one.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Teching In

you honestly dont need a f.a.s.t setup unless you are doing heads and cam bc there is no need for the extra air flow without needing it!!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

my question is why do u wanna go all slp stuff mix it up alot of other places make better stuff than slp, just do all bolt ons and a cam and ull hit 400hp
Old 02-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

well you might be right I just like SLP stuff
Old 02-09-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by URNZONEBAIT
well you might be right I just like SLP stuff
SLP stuff isnt bad, its just way more expensive than most other products out there made by the sponsors. Bolt ons are fine, but if you go heads/cam or any other internal mods id def suggest staying away from the SLP stuff. You can get a much better deal and better performing parts from places such as futural motorsports, Texas-speed, AFR, Patriot performance, etc etc etc...Also, dont go by their advetised HP numbers as those are quite optimistic estimates and rated at the flywheel, not the rear wheels.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks i didnt plan on goin cam/head until last if at all I just wanted to stay with the same brand as much as possible . I look at it like a guy having on a pair or Air Jordans on with some reebok socks and addidas shorts on doesent make since to me Maybe im just **** like that