Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Headers- ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 07:05 PM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Headers- ?

Hey guys, hopefully by the middle of next week I will be in the LS1 game. Do most of you just buy uncoated headers? I ask because on my LT1 i bought coated because of my plug wires, but on the LS1 the wires are short and go straight up, so they don't really interfere with hitting the headers. What do you all got and what do you like?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Me personally, if you got the cash i say go with a set of stainless steel headers, you'll never have to replace them! I got a set of QTP HVMC headers. Kooks and stainless works are also stainless steel. If you got a lower budget get a set of pacesetter. I dont care for uncoated but my car is a show car as well as a racer so its your call.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like most people opt for the coated ones (especially in the non stainless ones)
FWIW the coating should also be applied to the stainless ones as well, acts as a thermal barrier to aid in keeping the engine bay cool (it does it for the steel ones too, but it's primarily for looks and corrosion protection)
Eventually if you DD the car the coating can and will chip off, especially on the collector and lower part of the tubes, so it's up to you you can spend ~$350 for the coated steel ones, or ~$700 (or more) for the coated stainless, they give close to the same power increase, it's a question of what your wallet can stand.
The painted ones are OK if you're on a really tight budget, but the end up looking like hammered **** in a relatively short time (depending if you DD it or if it's a garage queen)
Old 02-24-2006, 12:22 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do not want to spend the dough on a nice set of stainless headers, Pacesetters are a VERY nice choice. Coated Pacesetters and an ORY will run you $500 even from TSP, which is a very good deal. Team this up with a cutout in the i-pipe and you'll have a kick *** flowing system for cheap that most people think sounds pretty mean.

I like the idea of stock catback + cutout for the stealth factor.

If you want to spend some money, I am in love with the new QTP stainless headers with the HVMC. They have a great price and look outstanding (polished!).
Old 02-24-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

i would reccomend the coated pacesetters or the qtp hvmc also.