Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Header Questions:

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Header Questions:

Just a couple quick easy to answer questions:

1) I have EGR and AIR fittings on my headers, thinking about removing them before the install, good idea or bad idea and why?

2) Should I remove the EGR and AIR?

3) What should I invest in, as far as intake, etc, to get the most out of my headers?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Default Re:

As far as removing the ports on the headers before your install them, you will have to figure out if you are takeing out the air pump. If you take out the air pump then you can take off the egr bungs and cap the intake where the egr goes in. As far as helping... well i would say your not getting the black suitty exhaust in your intake anymore. If your just getting headers and not exhaust i would reccommend a QTP cutout, if you got a Corvette i have herd of people useing two..

Hope some of this might help, or i just got you really confused!!

Good luck!!
Robbie
Old 03-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Banned

You can take that into account but I would ask yourself why would you want to.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Banned

Ok, here's the deal, besides the tiny performance advantages of removing the systems you mentioned, you want to ask yourself what actually is your target in the long term. At some point you might want to think about selling the car--as I hear that a greater majority of people sell fbodies and move on than all other cars combined, which may or may not be true. Nevertheless if that is what your goal is I would keep the systems on. You probably won't see a large enough performance advantage at all to justify removing those systems and replacing them with anything specific.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say screw the air and egr.......you can always put them back
Old 03-06-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are you loosing when removing the AIR system? I mean is this just to make room or is there something else I will loose?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

My goal is definitely not to sell the car, in all honesty I plan on doing a decent amount of work on the car because I enjoy it, after that it will probably sit in my garage for a few years until I decide I want to paint it and then I may make it a show car or something.

The main purpose of removing AIR and EGR for me is to clear up my cluttered engine bay. Also, I'm going to be running true duals so I know I'm pretty much screwed as far as emissions go. The EGR and AIR would be removed at the same time that I put in my headers and TD in order to cut down on time.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't plan on running cats, you can delete AIR. If you're planning on running cats, only advantage is to help pro-long your cats.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to mention it will also help during cold starts.. and dont forget emissions. You wont notice any difference in performance by removing them, so why waste the time and worry about messing with your new headers?