Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric cut out dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Electric cut out dimensions

I just bought a 3 in cut out, and I may or may not put on a electric valve. I am going to be installing the cut out in the upcomming months. If I choose to buy an electric opener I want to make sure that it will fit after I have welded the cut out in place. So what are the general dimensions of an electric cut out valve so I can make a mock up?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of the e-cutouts have different dimensions.So you need to find out what brand you want to use.Your best bet is to get the e-cutout before you put the cut out on.If not just put what you have on and then redo it if you have to.Only other thing is to contact all the e-cutout makers and see if they'll give you dimensions.There's a group of them on the market.

Its hard to blind guess the area needed and you can flip most cutouts around and move them clockwise/counter clockwise on the studs for the motor to have clearance.I have mine in the I-pipe under the passenger side rear seat.The motor is angled up into the dip.It'll never hit anything or get touched where I have it.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

I know about where it is supposed to go. I just dont want to weld the cutout too far forward or too far back that it will interfere with an electric valve. That is why I want to know the approximate dimensions.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just put it where the hump is under the car looks like a cutout is suppose to go there, and weld it at a 40 degree angle and you should have enough clearance to fit the electric cutout valve no problem. or buy the cutout and electric cutout valve together and put it up there to see how you want to mount it.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

From QTP for a 3": Approx 10" long and 4 1/2" tall.
From McCord for a 3": approximately 7 3/4" long and 4 1/2" tall.
Still waiting to hear back from DMH.