Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP exhaust guys i need your help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP exhaust guys i need your help

Im looking at getting pacesetter LT's, ORY, and LM1 or LM2 CB. Im afraid that setup is going to be too overpowering loud. I thought well maybe if im go with the LM2 setup (beacsue its supposed to be a little quieter) will sound perfect. Believe me im not afraid of having something loud (i have a 66' stang with straight pipes off headers!) but for normal daily driving i want something not to be THAT loud. I did listen to ls1sounds.com but i cant really get a great idea of how loud they really are. I listend to a 98 z28 that had LM1 CB but stock y and stock headers. And that sounded great but wasnt loud enough for me, so im hopeing that the setup above will trip my trigger!
Any help would be great. Also do any of you get hassled by the cops?
Old 03-18-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

It gonna be loud but the lm 2 should be quiter, slp actualy recommneds to use both the lm1 resonator and the lm2 bullet muffler for complete control. I've never heard it but I bet it sounds nice
Old 03-18-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

I'd imagine with longtubes, ORY and any loudmouth catback, your exhaust note would be pretty loud, especially at WOT. If you want something that is tame at idle/low rpms and isn't too loud at WOT, there are a few choices for you. Hooker, Magnaflow, and the SLP dual/dual catbacks would all fit the bill. I personally have had the Magnaflow and SLP D/D on my car (with the SLP being the quieter of the two), and both catbacks are very tolerable for a daily driver. Using one of the quieter catbacks will also give you some room to work with if you decide to add a cam or heads in the future.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Krab
I'd imagine with longtubes, ORY and any loudmouth catback, your exhaust note would be pretty loud, especially at WOT. If you want something that is tame at idle/low rpms and isn't too loud at WOT, there are a few choices for you. Hooker, Magnaflow, and the SLP dual/dual catbacks would all fit the bill. I personally have had the Magnaflow and SLP D/D on my car (with the SLP being the quieter of the two), and both catbacks are very tolerable for a daily driver. Using one of the quieter catbacks will also give you some room to work with if you decide to add a cam or heads in the future.
its not that i want it to be quiet, i just dont want it to be screaming loud at idle/low throttle. Kinda like my 66' is. However i want it to scream at WOT, why else would you put headers on a car? Plus with 6 gears i can put it in 6 when cruzing and be relitively quiet.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a nice quiet exhaust, try using the stock catback, just install a cutout, then you can have loud when you want and quiet when you want (and if you get the electric cutout, you can do it one flip of a switch and not have to get out of the car)
Old 03-18-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

then go for it, if its too loud you can always add a dynomax bullet muff. or a borla bullet muff. and those too sound great!
Old 03-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by radz
then go for it, if its too loud you can always add a dynomax bullet muff. or a borla bullet muff. and those too sound great!
i'm thinking thats a great idea. thanks for all the help guys
Old 03-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Launching!

i have lm on mine now and am plannin on lt's and ory in a month. I think im gonna love it and if not, ill just throw the dynomax muffler on and get the qtp electric cutout to still make little kids scream!
Old 03-18-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

My friend has the LM II and while it sounds o.k., it does have a very deep drone sound to it. If it was my car, I think it would give me a headache. It would be real loud with longtubes! My other friend has a dynomouth/center mount setup and just added longtubes w/offroad pipe, and you can hear him 2 miles away. It sounds good up till 1500 rpm, then RASPS real bad from ~2200-4500 rpm, then wakes the whole town above that. Way too loud for me, but you will hear lots of differing opinions on this.

Last edited by Redneck Z; 03-18-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Italiano99
i have lm on mine now and am plannin on lt's and ory in a month. I think im gonna love it and if not, ill just throw the dynomax muffler on and get the qtp electric cutout to still make little kids scream!
PM me when you get your stuff on for a review of what you think, if you can.
Thanks
Old 03-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
My friend has the LM II and while it sounds o.k., it does have a very deep drone sound to it. If it was my car, I think it would give me a headache. It would be real loud with longtubes! My other friend has a dynomouth/center mount setup and just added longtubes w/offroad pipe, and you can hear him 2 miles away. It sounds good up till 1500 rpm, then RASPS real bad from ~2200-4500 rpm, then wakes the whole town above that. Way too loud for me, but you will hear lots of differing opinions on this.
^^^Thats also something i dont want. I hate drone
Old 03-18-2006, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

Headers w/ORY and LM1 sounds like complete ****. Raspy as hell, loud, not refined...blah. You couldn't pay me to drive a car with that set up everyday. Not sure about the LM2 though.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frosty
Headers w/ORY and LM1 sounds like complete ****. Raspy as hell, loud, not refined...blah. You couldn't pay me to drive a car with that set up everyday. Not sure about the LM2 though.
looking at your sig, you went with the duals and ory w/o headers correct? Any perticular reason no headers? If you are and i didnt see them plz forgive me its late and im tired
Old 03-18-2006, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I have Mac's. Yup, it's late and you're tired.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had LMII with longtubes and ory. I have borlamouth now. The LMII is not really bad if you like it loud. It does have a bad sounding rasp at around 2k and when you give it half throttle. It is not unbearable(guess it depends on what you like). I think the sound depends on what tips you have on the slp. My dual duals are raspier than my friends car with the same setup(lt's, ory, LMII) except he has the dual straight tips. My borlamouth sounds great, but the ground clearance sucks.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokey1226
^^^Thats also something i dont want. I hate drone

You probably won't like the LM II very well then. The LM II definately sounds more quiet than the original LM, but has a very deep headache drone.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokey1226
its not that i want it to be quiet, i just dont want it to be screaming loud at idle/low throttle. Kinda like my 66' is. However i want it to scream at WOT, why else would you put headers on a car? Plus with 6 gears i can put it in 6 when cruzing and be relitively quiet.
If that's what you want, then by all means get the LM2. I agree that the LM will sound raspy and will have a lot of drone inside the cabin, especially in 6th gear when going about 60-65mph. Let us know how you like it when you get it installed.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't do LT, ORY with the LM1 too much drone.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Juiced2000SS
I wouldn't do LT, ORY with the LM1 too much drone.
any suggestions then? Something loud at WOT, deep purr at idle/low rev?
Old 03-19-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

i ran the hooker longtubes, ory, and loudmouth..all i can say is GODDAMN.. it was loud. i guess you can say it was raspy and all, but at WOT...whew that damn car screams and screams.. i think you will be happy with it. but yes it is loud.. im thinking of running the loudmouth or corsa on my next setup.