Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a vacuum pump setup... where to go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a vacuum pump setup... where to go?

I have a 409 w/ 14:1 CR and im running dual breathers and no PCV system. I have a line running from the LS6 Valley Cover to the nipple on the passenger side head.

Its pissin oil out of the breather on the driver side ( running two passenger VCs with metco breathers ) getting all over the firewall and on my headers.

I would like to run a vacuum pump and not have anymore problems with it.

If anyone know what shop to call or can suggest something. I did a search and wasnt what i was looking for.

I thought i read about a bracket/pump combo that went where the AC used to go.

Thanks, Jason
Old 03-21-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

A&A Corvette's has a vacuum pump for LS1's. He is a sponsor here.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm looking for a set-up myself. I think you will find info on this topic difficult to come by, I have at least. I picked up a Moroso 4 vane and am in the process of trying to figure out how to make it work as far as mounting bracktry, pulley/drive options, etc. I will monitor this thread to see if any ideas pop up. I was not aware A&A had a set-up but I'm going to check it out.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2006, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

SDPC is also working on a ls1 pump setup.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A Medic
I have a 409 w/ 14:1 CR and im running dual breathers and no PCV system. I have a line running from the LS6 Valley Cover to the nipple on the passenger side head.

Its pissin oil out of the breather on the driver side ( running two passenger VCs with metco breathers ) getting all over the firewall and on my headers.

I would like to run a vacuum pump and not have anymore problems with it.

If anyone know what shop to call or can suggest something. I did a search and wasnt what i was looking for.

I thought i read about a bracket/pump combo that went where the AC used to go.

Thanks, Jason

you have your current PCV system incorrectly setup.

you said:
I have a line running from the LS6 Valley Cover to the nipple on the passenger side head.
the nipple on that valve cover and the valley cover are the same area..what thats doing is connecting the two ports, effectively sealing it off.
you can either connect that to manifold vacuum thru a PCV valve, or put it onto another breather.
since this is a obviously not a daily driver, and you probly dont want it venting to the manifold, try capping off the nipple on the valve cover, and running the LS6 PCV vent to a catchcan with a breather on it.. or to just a breather.

that SHOULD lessen the oil pissing out everywhere.. right now, the entire engine is venting out that one breather on that side.

if nothing else, its a cheap temp fix until you get a nice vac pump setup..... if you have the cash, i wouldnt abandon that idea.. i like vac pumps.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

btw, i was searching for that bracket.. i know what you're talking about, i wanted to run it.

i cant find it.. the search here sucks.. but its on here...
its a nice setup.. moroso vac pump, running off the AC surp belt... if my turbo setup wasnt going there, id look at doing it myself.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A&A has a kit available. I got a quote from them on it last week.
Still havent heard back from SDPC
Old 03-22-2006, 08:56 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a pic of my two pumps that should be here tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out this thread. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...282&forum_id=1 Charlie from A&A Corvettes posts pics of his vacuum pump.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Awesome... thanks everyone... hope i can figure out a way to get it to work... i only have a crank to alt belt ... :/
Old 03-22-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the difference between 3 and 4 vane, other than I'm assuming the 4 vane pulls more vacuum? Essentially, what is a "vane"? Also, how much does each run and how much hp (most likely as a %) does it say to reclaim?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

J~
Why not try a simple exhaust type crankcase evacuation system first??

Last edited by HALLZ; 03-28-2006 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moroso also makes a pump that will work serpentine style, you need to incorporate the pulley from a company named DZ Motorsports but it will work just fine.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HALLZ
J~
Why not try a simple exhaust type crankcase evacuation system first??
What exactly is this?

I've been interested in the idea of putting a vaccum pump on an LT1 car ever since I saw Super Chevy's 'danger mouse' engine build series gain 15hp with one. Does anybody think that one could be placed under the alternator? (remember, I'm talking about an LT1, not familiar with LS engine bays). I noticed there was quite a bit of space in the area under the alternator and behind the radiator, can anybody think of why this wouldn't work? Again, I'm not familiar with LS1 engine bays so this may not help anyone else (sorry T/A Medic, not trying to take over your thread )
Old 04-02-2006, 12:37 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

If you need any info on a vaccum pump i have one mounted were the power steering went.I have manual steering so it worked out well.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Question

Originally Posted by tuff
If you need any info on a vaccum pump i have one mounted were the power steering went.I have manual steering so it worked out well.
Do you have any pics you could post up? I've never seen one mounted on that side.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Would it be worth the trouble and cost for 5-20 hp?

I think TA Medic wants it primarily to relieve the pressure causing oil to be excreted out the valve covers.

I am thinking on the lines of the "old school" crank case scavenging done by attaching breather's, hose and a check valve to the exhaust (header collector) and use the scavenging effects of the exhaust.

Kinda a barbaric "pore mans" version for drag racing. I would never thing to try it on a road race or any type of set up were full exhaust, mufflers or cats were in place for obvious reasons. But some swear by it and it's cheap and wont take any hp to turn the pump or add noticeable weight to the front end.

Anyone even tried it or seen it on a LSx yet?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:58 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by 02 Silver Z
Do you have any pics you could post up? I've never seen one mounted on that side.

Thanks!
Ill pm you pics later.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Kind of a hijack and some info...

Hallz, I got another LS1 haha....still banned from norcal so I cant post over there but Ive been here catching up on the latest and greatest for the LS1 cars....

Also, I had this setup on another car. It works ok if you have open headers or maybe even a short piece of exhaust pipe and a bullet type muffler, but it wont work at all if you have full exhaust and a regular flowmaster etc type muffler. I cant remember what Jason had for exhaust when I saw it at the track but it sure moves out. Ill see ya around. Hit me on aim if you ever go on there or pm me your phone number.

Dave
aim=daveijr
Old 04-04-2006, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Psycho Dave
Kind of a hijack and some info...

Hallz, I got another LS1 haha....still banned from norcal so I cant post over there but Ive been here catching up on the latest and greatest for the LS1 cars....

Also, I had this setup on another car. It works ok if you have open headers or maybe even a short piece of exhaust pipe and a bullet type muffler, but it wont work at all if you have full exhaust and a regular flowmaster etc type muffler. I cant remember what Jason had for exhaust when I saw it at the track but it sure moves out. Ill see ya around. Hit me on aim if you ever go on there or pm me your phone number.

Dave
aim=daveijr

Good to hear Dave!!!!!

I was thinking on a open header set up or with short collector extensions. Never really crossed my mind that Jason or Chris would be running a muffler any longer!