Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick help on removing intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Quick help on removing intake

Hey, so im taking my intake off today to ship out for paint. I have never taken this off before. Anyway, i got my damn hotchkis STB off, which felt like the bolts were welded on. Then i took off my airbox, unplugged the sensor, unplugged my 2 TB sensors, unbolts the plastic piece that holds the throttle cable in place, unscrewed the one screw for the EGR tube and took that out, then i could only reach 4 of the wire harness things that go onto the injectors.
1.) do i need to take all 8 off before i unbolt the intake?
Now onto the tubes.... the brake booster thing... its held on by that odd clamp and i cant get the SOB off.
2.) Best way to get this SOB off?
now it says 2 other tubes, one of left side and plastic piece on right side of intake? What are these and how do they come off? I cant find the plastic thing on right and dont want to unbolt the wrong thing and eff it up, and cant find the correct tube on the left.
3.) So question above.
4.) Now can i jsut unbolt the 10 8mm bolts and take it off?
5.) If i take it off and want to send it out for paint, best way to bare it of the fuel rails?

Thanks for all your help and sorry for my newbiness of wrenching, lol

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 03-30-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5 , that will answer your questions.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Superman09
1.) do i need to take all 8 off before i unbolt the intake?
yes

2. Now onto the tubes.... the brake booster thing... its held on by that odd clamp and i cant get the SOB off.
pull it out from the brake booster itself...or undo the clamp

5.) If i take it off and want to send it out for paint, best way to bare it of the fuel rails?
you have to unbolt the fuel rails because the fuel feed line is going to them..and unless you have a the line disconnect tool..yr SOL...it might be easier to removed the fuel rails first and move it out of the way.

now it says 2 other tubes, one of left side and plastic piece on right side of intake? What are these and how do they come off? I cant find the plastic thing on right and dont want to unbolt the wrong thing and eff it up, and cant find the correct tube on the left.
i know of a small plastic tube that runs behind there...i forget what it is for..but it removes very easily...im not sure what the other one is your talking about..but the one im talking about..is the diameter size of a straw

i think it goes to the MAP that is connected to the back of the manifold...im pretty sure now that i think about it...

hope this helps some..it been...a ............ LONG....time....since i took mine off
Old 03-30-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5 , that will answer your questions.
gawd daym it...i used that exact procedure when i did mine...thx for posting while i was writing that book!
Old 03-30-2006, 02:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yea, im going by that as i do my install but it doesnt give very clear directions on removing the tubes and such. So i should just be able to yank the tube off the brake booster without undoing that clamp? BTW, these 8mm bolts are a bitch to get off without a socket wrench, lol i have 2 off and cant wait until iget to the back 2, lol

Old 03-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

No you have to slide the clamp back to get the hose of the booster. Buy a socket wrench, and don't forget about the oil sending unit in the back like 90% of everyone else that does a intake swap for the first time.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

If you are talking about the one im thinking...

Pinch the clamp with a your fingers or a pair of pliers and slide it back on the hose over the nipple (not toward end of hose). Then grab t he hose and pull it off, you may have to rock the hose a little to get it off.

Dont disconnect the fuel line, take the bolts out. Pop the fuel rails with the injectors attached out of the intake and set to the side of the engine compartment (yeah you wanna remove the connectors going to the injectors)
Old 03-30-2006, 02:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

At what point do i remove the oil sneding unti? Right after i unbolt it all? My dad took the small socket wrench down to the office, hes bringing it home tonight but i was hoping to have the itnake off by 4:00

Old 03-30-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

you only need to remove the oil pressure sending unit if its broken, but if you want to be on the safe side and install a new on you just need a deep socket dont know what size but just unscrew it and when you get the new sending unit install it and be careful when putting the intake back on.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok, 9 bolts are done, having trouble with the back left due to the trans lock tube thingy? Any info on this/tips, help?

Old 03-30-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

when you are ready to remove, get some 1/4 fuel line and cut 4 one sections verically slide them over the four rear most raised bolts, this will hold them up, tape works too. when your ready to remove, follow the line you removed from the brake booster to the rear of the manifold, it passes behind the pressure sender, put your hand here, lift using your thumb on the sender, and lift the hose over it, now your free. I also recommend cutting the little plastic tabs off alittle that hold the plastic cowl down, this will save some skin on your knuckles.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok, i got the clamp thing to slide down the brake hose thing farhter, so
1.) do i jsut take pliers and rip the hose off now?
2.)Still cant get the back right 8mm screw due to blocked by trans-lock tube thing

Old 03-30-2006, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok well i was gankin on the booster hose and the part where it goes into the car came out, the piece that the tube was cpnnected to, is this ok? and i have no idea how to get the back right bolt out with the trans-lock tube in the way. Anyone?

Old 03-30-2006, 04:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

i mean back left*, also is it ok to take my egr crap out now while i wait for the block off plates, or should i leave it hooked up until i get the plates?

Old 03-30-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
I also recommend cutting the little plastic tabs off alittle that hold the plastic cowl down, this will save some skin on your knuckles.
Those are extremely important words. Those little cowl push rivets
are Flesh eaters !!! You can snip the bottoms off with wire cutters.
Hawk
Old 03-30-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

you can take the EGR stuff out if you are going to be getting block off plates, and if you dont have catalyic converters then you can delete the AIR system also. the back left bolt you just have to use an extension and manuever your way back there to get the bolt.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok well ill take off the EGR but i still have cats so i'll keep the AIR. I couldnt get the socket to fit under the trans lock tube so i worked my magic with a wrench for 30 mins and got it out mostly but now the tube is really getting in the way. How do i get the bolt out all the way? Anyone else have trouble with this tube? Im assuming its only on A4's so if you could chime in. Thanks, few pics. My flesh already has gotten eaten up a lot so no use cutting the tabs now, lol.
Attached Thumbnails Quick help on removing intake-100_0799.jpg   Quick help on removing intake-100_0801.jpg   Quick help on removing intake-100_0802.jpg   Quick help on removing intake-100_0803.jpg  

Old 03-30-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can carefully bend the trans tube out of the way. If you have to pull the bolt mounting the tube do so. Just spin it out of the way. Don't pull up with the bolt out or trans fluid will come out.
Hawk
Old 03-30-2006, 06:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

haha ok, where is this bolt for the tube? So jsut unscrew it a little bit so i can turn the tube to the side? Thanks!

Old 03-30-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also would unbolt your cruise control, behind battey, lay a towel on the driver side fender, un hook thottle cable and push the wires out of the clips on the manifold, and lay the whole assembly over the driver side fender, plus, that bolt on the manifold will not come out the whole way, as it will hit the cowl, you must unthread it the whole way and wrap tape around it, or use the fuel line trick.