Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dumb question, stock sizes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumb question, stock sizes

Hi guys, I'm real sorry if this is a question that has been answered a million times but I did search and I still didn't find a definite answer, I just got confused. What diameter is the stock I pipe and stock exit piping on an LS1 F-bod, and about how long is the stock muffler? I have NO idea what to think for the muffler size, I'd imagine it's at least a good 2'/24" long just by eyeballing it, if not more. I've been told the I pipe is 2 1/2", and the dual exit pipes are 2 1/4". Is that correct?

Also, I know this is probably a REALLY dumb question but does the proximity of the muffler to the exit alter the sound drastically? I am asking because I am looking to get a custom catback fabbed up for cheap using a bullet muffler, chambered muffler or glasspack, and it would be far cheaper to ask them to fab up as little pipe as necessary and put it in the stock muffler location rather than way back in the I pipe, but would putting it that close to the exit make it way too loud? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

ttt anybody?
Old 04-15-2006, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

All I know of your questions is that the I-Pipe Is 3"
Old 04-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Teching In

I am thinking of the same thing. The stock i-pipe is 2.75 inches O.D. The tailpipes are 2.25 inches O.D. The muffler case is approximately 27 inches long.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

With the calipers... 2.75" diameter. Clueless about the length and stuff, though, but I do know that the further downstream the muffler(s) is(are), the better flow you have. Sound is a matter of opinion, to be honest, so I won't bore you with something that isn't fact.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help

When I first read what y'all wrote about the I being 2.75" that sounded like a PITA to me because I thought "well that's an unusual size and it'll be hard to match up to aftermarket muffler sizes" but actually the more I think about it that makes sense, being that size I guess you could slip a 2.5" inlet inside the stock pipe, or slip a 3" inlet over the stock pipe, huh?

Anyone else think the pre-fabbed catback systems for our cars are WAY too expensive??? I'm getting a custom system (not true dual just axle-back) fabbed up because I have no intention of paying Magnaflow, Flowmaster, SLP, Borla, Corsa, etc. $500 or more for a muffler and a few feet of pipe. That's ridiculous. Especially since I'll probably get nearly the same flow/sound using my idea, just put a bullet in place of the stock muffler with a 1OTL exit on the driver's side, using 2.5" or 3" pipe out the back instead of the stock 2.25" exit.