Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing exhaust system- one man job?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing exhaust system- one man job?

My intermediate pipe is getting pretty ratty so I ordered a new OEM exhaust. Tried ordering the OEM single pipe system that came on the 98' SS but ended up receiving a system with dual tips... no returns allowed. Anyway- the tips and intermediate pipe are welded to the muffler already and I do not want to cut it in order to install it.

After reviewing the steps to replace it in the Helm's manual, I'm wondering if this can be done as a one man job. It will also be done in a driveway with jack stands which may play a role depending on whether I can get the car high enough off the ground. The manual details the proceedure as such:

jacking up the rear end of the car
removing the driver's side wheel
supporting the differential with a jack
removing the passenger's side stabilizer bar end link
disconnecting the passenger's side shock absorber at the axle
removing the track bar
removing the torque arm bolts at the differential
lower the rear axle slightly
remove passenger's side coil spring and bushing
loosen muffler clamp from Y-pipe
lower axle completely
Swap new exhaust for old exhaust and put everything back together in reverse order

Is there anything here that will require a second set of hands? It seems like the removal is pretty easy though I'm wondering if I'll need a second set of hands to line things up as I put it back together. I've got the day off tomorrow and would prefer to knock it out though a second set of hands will be tricky to come by.

Any estimates on how long this should take to do? I'm guessing three hours if I was in a hurry... probably closer to five considering I'm not and would rather enjoy the process of getting my hands dirty and snapping a few pictures along the way.

I've also read it's recommended to apply an exhaust sealant to the slip joint between the Y-pipe and intermediate pipe. i don;t remember ever seeing a special exhaust sealant though I've got some high-temp RTV on hand... good enough?

Thanks for your advice!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes it is a one man job and no I have never had to drop the rear axle one centimeter to install a cat-back.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I read in his post it's the stock cat back (no split at the over the axle pipe) sort of like a GMMG
About the only thing you may need a second set of hands for is to line up the rear axle (if you take out the LCAs), but other than that it should be a one man job, as for time, I'd give it a good 8 hrs, so you're not rushed (rushing leads to screwing stuff up)
I don't recall any type of sealant between my stock y and I pipe
FWIW I wouldn't put the stock catback on, I'd upgrade to an aftermarket, but it's your car, so it's your choice
Old 05-10-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I backed the back end onto ramps and had no problem...only thing i did was sawsaw the stock catback off as it goes over the axle...and then put the new system up. really really easy.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
From what I read in his post it's the stock cat back (no split at the over the axle pipe) sort of like a GMMG
About the only thing you may need a second set of hands for is to line up the rear axle (if you take out the LCAs), but other than that it should be a one man job, as for time, I'd give it a good 8 hrs, so you're not rushed (rushing leads to screwing stuff up)
I don't recall any type of sealant between my stock y and I pipe
FWIW I wouldn't put the stock catback on, I'd upgrade to an aftermarket, but it's your car, so it's your choice
Correct- it's the stock catback. I shouldn't need to touch the LCAs so I'll start working on it this morning. If need be I can ask my wife to help out- she's pretty good about stuff like this.

The car is otherwise in stock condition and I have no plans to modify it. Someday I'll get a 98-02' project car that will get all the goodies but this isn't that car