Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold air intake worth it...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cold air intake worth it...

is the CAI from sum1 like fast toys worth it or wil it just shoot water into my engine and ruin my car its my DD.....

also i found this thing for a TB its like a thing that increases velocity and you put it inside ur tb??? anygood?
Old 05-29-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Velocity stacks (the TB thing) are worthless. FTRA is a proven mod, it is worth it. Every now and then you hear a horror story about someone getting water in their engine, but it is mostly heresay or someone "speculating" on the possibilities. Either way, the kit comes with a block-off plate to keep such an event from happening.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

I have the FTRA and have had no problems with water shooting into the intake tract.You can also definitly feel the difference in the upper rpm ranges. My car picked up nearly a tenth on a 80 degree day at the track.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:42 PM
LS1Tech Editor

I have the SSRA/ Austin Ram Air and love it! No problems, better gas mileage and better top end. I couldn't be any happier. Got mine through LMPerformance.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just recently picked up one from someone here on the board, and I gained a 25% fuel economy increase! I was running 200 miles in regular day to day driving, and recently have been consistantly getting 250 miles! Simply put, it's great.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Wink

Excellant mod. and affordable, rain not a problem, they do come with a cover.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:26 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SSRA/FTRA are great as long as you don't try to plow up some concrete leaving a parking lot.

The velocity stack is junk.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just don't drive through a deep puddle. (and I'm talking gretaer than ten inches deep!)
Old 05-30-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Converted my 98Zs' intake over to SLPs' CAI(smooth bellows,SLP lid,K&N filter,cut/modified lower OEM lid to accept the ss ducting with the SLP kit)3 years ago.It's a totally sealed tract except for the intake of the ss ducting below the car in front of the radiator.
At the strip,no difference/improvement was noticed/gained,heat buildup in the intake tract cannot be dissipated in the short time of a run down the tract.
Local cruising,same note.
Running on the freeways/interstates,big difference.After a few minutes of running,the CAI comes into play.An example would be against a Z the runs 2-3 tenths faster than me at the strip I can pull away from on the freeways/interstates.
Water has never been a problem and I have been thru some heavy rains(seeing cars ahead of me were difficult)on the interstates.
Frequent cleaning of the filter and lower OEM modified lid area is necessary as it's a continuous input of fine road grit and I've once found a flattened aluminum pop can in the ss ducting.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Just don't drive through a deep puddle. (and I'm talking gretaer than ten inches deep!)
Anyone careless enough to do that with an F-body deserves to have water in their engine.