Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you get the ASP pulley off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 01:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you get the ASP pulley off?

What type of puller do you use to do this? Is it easier than pulling the stock pulley? Any tips would be appreciated as I'm thinking of swapping cams.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: How do you get the ASP pulley off?

Go to Autozone and rent one of their 3 arm pulley pullers. And yes, it is easier than the stock pulley. You should be able to pull it off with the crank bolt, instead of a longer bolt or all-thread.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:27 AM
TECH Junkie

I have a 3 arm pulley puller but it seems as though it would damage the pulley by using it, it is the one I pulled the stock pulley off with. Is there a 3 arm pulley that fits in the holes on the ASP?
Old 03-10-2003, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't use a claw pulley puller like the one used to removed the stock pulley. It will damage the ASP pulley.

Goto the auto store and look for a "crows foot" style puller. Its flat and has 4 arms it almost looks like a peace symbol. It will come with an assortment of bolts and one big center bolt tp push on the pulley bolt. There are 3 threaded holes on the ASP pulley. Line up the arms of this puller and thread 3 bolts that came with the puller, through it into the ASP pulley. Just give each bolt a few good turns and make sure they are all even, tighten the big center bolt down onto the pulley bolt, as you tighten it will pull the ASP pulley off the crank.

Lee
Old 03-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Teching In

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
You can't use a claw pulley puller like the one used to removed the stock pulley. It will damage the ASP pulley.

Goto the auto store and look for a "crows foot" style puller. Its flat and has 4 arms it almost looks like a peace symbol. It will come with an assortment of bolts and one big center bolt tp push on the pulley bolt. There are 3 threaded holes on the ASP pulley. Line up the arms of this puller and thread 3 bolts that came with the puller, through it into the ASP pulley. Just give each bolt a few good turns and make sure they are all even, tighten the big center bolt down onto the pulley bolt, as you tighten it will pull the ASP pulley off the crank.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly what he said. I got a "harmonic balancer remover" from Sears for $18, but I had to go and get 5/16" fine threaded bolts because that's the kind of threads the C5 ASP pulley has. I dunno if there'd be a difference for the Camaro/TA pulley, since it's different from a C5 one, so maybe the bolts that came with the puller would work on your pulley.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys thats exactly the info I needed
Old 03-18-2003, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

I think the one that "Fear" talks about is also labeled as a "Steering Wheel Puller" What he describes is the tool that I use for Steering wheels.
Matt Sr.