Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5" or 3" Y-Pipe diamater?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2.5" or 3" Y-Pipe diamater?

I know, I know....use the search function. I have and noone seems to have any reason to use either. My question to everyone is the following: I have just recently discovered that my passenger side cat's membrane is not adhered to the cat-body anymore. Basically.....its shot! The car only has 59K on it so I know I can have it replaced for nothing under warranty but I am also exploring header and catted y-pipe options. I have my choice narrowed down to (2): Stainless Works and Kooks. Stainless Works comes with Random Tech. Cats and 2.5" ypipe (similar to the system on my 04 Silverado, below). Kooks now come with a stainless 3" y-pipe and cats (MagnaFlow I believe). The Kooks are approximately $200 more by using TByrne's websites prices (only one I could find with stainless y-pipe price available). I have just recently ordered an SLP lid and I have a Flowmaster exhaust and Nelson tune. I plan on getting rid on the Flowmaster for a MagnaFlow but I doubt it will happen before the headers. After that I plan on doing a cam (mid-to-high 220's) and will more than likely never do heads, but you never know. The car is primarily street driven and will, at most, only see the track 10 runs a year, MAX!!! I am a huge fan of "driveable power" (i.e. torque down low right off idle but still has lungs up top if need be) What would you recommend and why know what I said above? Any help/opinions/tips are appreciated!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Having mine built with 2.5" and Random Tech CATS. The 2.5" will handle the flow until you are pushing well over 500 rwhp. Use a good merge collector and a free flowing catback and you will be fine.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
Having mine built with 2.5" and Random Tech CATS. The 2.5" will handle the flow until you are pushing well over 500 rwhp. Use a good merge collector and a free flowing catback and you will be fine.
Agreed. I went from 3" duals to my 3" Highflow cats (RT's) and a 2.5" custom Y w/ a flowmaster merge collector and felt NO loss on the ***-o-meter. It actually feels like I picked up low end torque too. So don't be scared about the smaller pipe giving up power. Ground clearance is also much better than the 3" piping.