Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

next upgrade+my tb job

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default next upgrade+my tb job

what should i do next?
are there any more free mods to do besides tb port, tb bypass, undercar air damn?.. i have pics of all these mods, id like to post to but i cant seem to upload them.i havent seen any other tb ports as highly polished as mine, i can see my reflection lots of polishing. but i didnt do the filler mod, from lack of suitable filler, and that i rather fill it with aluminum either with my tig or mig. but my dremel also blew up while i was polishing, smelled like rosses ... im stumpped on what mods to do or parts to buy because of incompatabilty with future planned upgrades.. but i want to go faster at the current moment. im gonna take out my back seats too even though they weigh nothing, i never use them, or even like to take more then one passenger(is it just me or do the back springs seem to weak for 4 ppl)i have 36lbs flow matched slp injectors, should i put them in ( noticible gain?) or just sell them(future mods require bigger then 36) if anyone wants to buy them let me know there brand new, still in box.

notice i took off the water line.. used a hacksaw. havent heard of anyone else doing this either but its a whole 4 ounces less weight , more room and looks better without a open pipe sticking out. didnt have the patience to hand file it all the way down after dremel blowing up.
mild porting on the back too i took out the ridge and polished it smooth.

idk if the pictures will work^ but i tried uploading directly to the site didnt work so maybe this will.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

ooooo shiiinnnyyyy lookes good man
Old 06-19-2006, 01:18 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sweet! Does it run good?

I've yanked the coolant tubes out of a few TB's. They are just pressed in, so with enough twisting pulling and cursing, they will pop out.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys , yeah i noticed it. mostly in the midrange though. bottom felt the same just seemed to run slightly better, then up higher 2.5k and on is where ist really noticible, it accelerates a good bit better, sounds alil better too.

Last edited by 00454sscamaro; 06-19-2006 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im gonna do fill in the void with aluminum next time i get some time, i think its going to be alil tricky , im going to make it one hole into those two ports, anyone know what they do anyway, ive seen a plastic tb insert that blocks them off..
Old 06-19-2006, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

One is the passage for your IAC and the other is the passage for the PCV.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

question, what was the smallest grit sandpaper you used?

I don't mean to knock your work it does look great but it kinda looks like it could use a finer paper to make it even smoother.

Nice work
Old 06-20-2006, 03:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if my dremel didnt blow up i would of did more polishing and sanding (the sanding barrels i used only had 2 grits im not sure the grits maybe 120 or something like that but the rougher ones 80, i think), but i did alil bid of hand sanding with a highest of 220 and i didnt really use the 220 for long just a touchup i got alot finer paper but im also impatient and already put about 10hrs into it with the slow hand work. are you talking about the tb blade or the tb itself, the tb blade i didnt really put that much effort into, i didnt even sand the tb blade just polished it alil after bench grinding it. and i tried to leave those two passage ways alil rougher then the rest of the tb.im probly going to take it back off and make a few more polishing passes and make the ports smaller adding aluminum, next time i got a whole day . as for the tb blade i'll probly leave it, its hard to work with the shape that it is with any power tools, they tend to grab and go off in there own direction.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Luna
question, what was the smallest grit sandpaper you used?

I don't mean to knock your work it does look great but it kinda looks like it could use a finer paper to make it even smoother.

Nice work
While shiny looks pretty there is little to prove it flows better, infact there is more proof to show a rough surface will flow better as it intorduces a better boundary layer in the same manor why a golf ball has lots of dimples on it.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00454sscamaro
what should i do next?
are there any more free mods to do besides tb port, tb bypass, undercar air damn?..
What's the undercar air dam mod?

As for other mods, well there's loads you could do. However most "free" mods are completely pointless.

-Fast 90 with NW 90mm TB
-Headers (would work with supercharger or rear mount turbo but NOT front mont turbo)
-Heads
-Cam
-Pulley (only turbo not supercharger setups)
-Forged internals
-12 bolt
-chassis, suspension & brake upgrades
-Nitrous
Old 06-20-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you didnt fully read my post.. for the future upgrades i plan, headers and intake would most likely hafto be replaced. the warhawk engine requires ls7 style intake, and bigger headers then i can find for f body's currently even though 1 7/8 and 2 inch isnt that big of a diff. nitrious would swap over easy but im still alil uneasy about nitrious.i already have an underdrive pulley, didnt notice any diff. as for cam that would be a good one, idk what one to get or if one i got for my ls1 would be big enough for the warhawk to breath well.
the undercar air dam is exactly what youd think. you should be able to see in the pics. i cut the back off my airbox to flow air up from the air for the radiator/ac, also cut some of the ram so its a bigger opening going up twards the air filter. i saw this mod in a gm performance magazine and that along with the tb port was a noticible gain.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Right that'd be the FRA mod then, cheers

As for future plans. Well is you plan on a totally radical semi LS7 setup you either don't want to spend any money on this setup or make it into a beast in it's own right as you could always sell the setup. I guess it all depends on your goals, expectations and money you want to spend.

I personally don't know much about the 454ci Warhawk setup but unless you need the ultimate or the bragging rights it sounds expensive.

Options I'd go is get the FI kit you want and slap it on your current motor even if it is a bit OTT and have some fun. While you have that to play with build up a 2nd motor. I'd probably go 402ci aluminium block running ~9.1 CR with some decent heads and a suitable cam and fully forged.

If you other motor is still in one peice sell it to fund buying the last bits for the 402 and simply swap them over and re-hook up your FI power added (this is why it's important to select the correct FI setup beforehand else you'd end up doing it twice).

If your LS1 decided to blow you could salvage what you could to complete the 402 (sump, intake, what ever) and sell the remaining parts.

A blown 402 should be easily capable of 650-700rwhp all day long on pump fuel.

But hay each their own

Good luck with your project.