Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

port/polish tb

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 03:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default port/polish tb

does anyone got a list of all the materieral you need to p&p the tb like all the grits of sand paper for your dremel and any other materials needed
Old 06-19-2006, 04:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Check my sig, there's link to some very helpful info provided by Wilwaxu
Old 06-19-2006, 04:15 AM
Launching!

I would never recommend it because it might throw your AFRs off
Old 06-19-2006, 04:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ezrollin
What???

Go read some more threads and sticky's before giving anymore uneducated advise!!!!!
Old 06-19-2006, 08:41 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

Go read some more threads and sticky's before giving anymore uneducated advise!!!!!
Pwn3d.

Hog that bitch out, don't get in to where the blade makes its seal at though.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Pwn3d.

Hog that bitch out, don't get in to where the blade makes its seal at though.
I don't think I would "Hog it out", I would be careful. I must have hit a thin spot because I ground through the casting a tiny bit and I wouldn't call what I was doing "Hogging".
Old 06-19-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

There's loads of material which can be removed from a stocker. But like TheBlurLS1 said don't remove it where the blade seals, or else it won't idle correctly. Also watch the bottom of the TB as that's where the water coolant passage is so the casing is thinner.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Launching!

I blew my piston rings from overheating and extremely lean AFRs, I know from experience, so dont tell me I'm giving bad advice. You all do have MAF sensors dont you?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

I blew my piston rings from overheating and extremely lean AFRs,
So was this directly related to a ported stock TB being the only alteration from factory spec?

I'm gonna guess not, if your car was running that lean it was due to a more major issue.

I know from experience, so dont tell me I'm giving bad advice.
Well the only thing is the advice you gave probably falls in the same category as "don't drive your car it will wear the engine out".

If you believe there is a major issue concerning A/F's and ported TB's then please expand on it and explain all the specifics. You also have to remember porting a TB is nothing new, the LS1 has been around since 1997, this board has thousands of members and it is a proven mod which a vast amount of data/information/real life accounts to back it up with.

You all do have MAF sensors dont you?
Not if you're running SD
Old 06-19-2006, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

There's loads of material which can be removed from a stocker.
OK, if your gonna follow this advice I would be sure to have a backup TB to use when you grind through the casting. What does loads of material mean? Does that mean you can just go grinding at your hearts content without any worries? Don't think so!
Old 06-19-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

ok lets comm down girls
Old 06-19-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

I just finished up porting and polishing mine today, go for it, its easy. Just be careful about grinding through. Ill try to post up some pics later.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SLP4CamaroSS
does anyone got a list of all the materieral you need to p&p the tb like all the grits of sand paper for your dremel and any other materials needed
theres some how tos on here, but i dont have a link...

really, its easy, just kill the lump leading into the throttlebody.
look on the side next to where the bearings are.. theres a thinspot there, thats the only place you really need to watch carefully.. the rest is just common sense.

its been awhile since i did mine... i think i just used "heavy grit" sanding rolls to take most of the alum out... they have crossbuff style attachments that work great for polishing...

i havent done it this way on a throttlebody, but if you get the scotchpad attachments and some air tools, you could do a great job really fast... like production speed fast.... lol. i learned about the scotchpad stuff after i did my throttlebody, but ive been using it on other alum polishing projects... works GREAT... fast, but really controllable.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:57 PM
That's what she said...

I blew my piston rings from overheating and extremely lean AFRs, I know from experience, so dont tell me I'm giving bad advice. You all do have MAF sensors dont you?
Porting the TB is fine, porting the MAF is not. What the hell are you talking about? A ported TB won't make your car go lean, as it has nothing to do with it unless done incorrectly. I just went from a ported stock TB to a FAST 90mm manifold and 90mm tb, with no tuning work, and my car runs perfect.

The O2 sensors should be able to change the fuel to make up for a slight lean condition. If it was enough to overheat and blow your motor, you had different problems other than the TB. A vacuum leak will allow more air in than a badly ported throttle body, and this will be UNMETERED air, but the car will still not run bad enough to do severe damage.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Suspended Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Porting the TB is fine, porting the MAF is not. What the hell are you talking about? A ported TB won't make your car go lean, as it has nothing to do with it unless done incorrectly. I just went from a ported stock TB to a FAST 90mm manifold and 90mm tb, with no tuning work, and my car runs perfect.

The O2 sensors should be able to change the fuel to make up for a slight lean condition. If it was enough to overheat and blow your motor, you had different problems other than the TB. A vacuum leak will allow more air in than a badly ported throttle body, and this will be UNMETERED air, but the car will still not run bad enough to do severe damage.

I agree 110%.We are runnning a New Era ported TB on co. car has over 2,000 miles on it now with no problems. I would really like to understand the complex chemistry and physics involved in a ported TB causing a car to run lean.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by motoxlifer
OK, if your gonna follow this advice I would be sure to have a backup TB to use when you grind through the casting. What does loads of material mean? Does that mean you can just go grinding at your hearts content without any worries? Don't think so!
Or quite simply try reading the rest of the post AND clicking on the link in my SIG which I already mentioned where you'll find an excerlent writeup with pics provided by Wilwaxu who happens to be a mod on here!

Easy
Old 06-19-2006, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Or quite simply try reading the rest of the post AND clicking on the link in my SIG which I already mentioned where you'll find an excerlent writeup with pics provided by Wilwaxu who happens to be a mod on here!

Easy
Exactly! You are contrdicting yourself. I have read that link, and it clearly states to be careful because the casting can be quite thin in places. He is a mod huh, Ooooh, I'm impressed. It is a very good write up though.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

Is porting the TB really worth it? If so, then I'm going to do it this weekend.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah if you do it your self its a easy free 10whp even if you pay the $75-$100 its still worth it! just think you pay 200$ + for a pulley and its about 10whp
Old 06-29-2006, 08:45 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
Is porting the TB really worth it? If so, then I'm going to do it this weekend.
Yes I believe it is. Ported TB's always have a re-sale value too! Search for threads by DansRedz28, he just posted some nice pictures of his.

Most people report a little increase in throttle response.