Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove LS6 plastic oil fill neck in cam cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remove LS6 plastic oil fill neck in cam cover?

How is the oil filler neck plastic assembly held into the cam cover? I turned it about 1/4 turn and it came out a little way but doesn't feel like it just wants to pull all the way out.

Is there some little secret I'm missing? I want to have the covers powder coated but need to get the plastic bits out of the way.

Thanks,
Mike R.
Attached Thumbnails Remove LS6 plastic oil fill neck in cam cover?-oil-filler1.jpg  
Old 07-01-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

I think you have to turn it some more there is a platic nub on the end stopping it from turn much farther. had to do this last wk trying to old headers off.

John
Old 07-01-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

First off those aren't cam covers. They're valve covers. They would only cam covers if the engine was OHC. The LSx cam is in the block.

The oil filler neck: To get it out; turn it 180 degrees with a big pair of pliers and then pull it straight out.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:43 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Its a pain in the ***. Just got to pull hard.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HeapaShifter
First off those aren't cam covers. They're valve covers. They would only cam covers if the engine was OHC. The LSx cam is in the block.

The oil filler neck: To get it out; turn it 180 degrees with a big pair of pliers and then pull it straight out.
1. Oops - been playing with too many Mercedes, all with overhead cams.
2. Thanks, I'll give it a go in the morning - the coldest part of the day in Las Vegas at the moment!
Old 07-02-2006, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

If the valve cover is off the car, from the underside there is a tab you can push in with a screw driver and it will twist right off, it's actually pretty easy. Mine broke when trying to give it the magilla gorilla twist when the cover was still installed..

Dan
Old 07-02-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

i was wondering the same thing when i tried to take mine off today during my headers install. still need to replace it cuz it broke. are the ones that look like a filter(i dont know if they are a filter or not) good to have or is it better to have the stock one? sorry for highjackin your thread.