Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about this for induction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How about this for induction?

I was at a speed shop and they had a LS1 on an engine stand that was for sale, and for a industion/filter setup they just had a K&N cone on the end of the MAF.... How practical/effective would this?

IT seems like it could work fairly well i dont know about heat soak though. My friend took my blackwing lid so im in the market for a new lid and just the filter idea seems like it would work pretty good

anyone feel free to chime in

thanks
Old 07-03-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would need the IAT sensor for it. Did the cone have one installed? If you can put an IAT in it it should work.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

i dont know if it did, i didnt look to hard into it i wa slucky enough to get my gf to go in with me so i could pick up my brakes that would be a neat setup though
Old 07-03-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would have to cutup the lower airbox to get it to fix. Do I search here. Someone a while ago used two cone filters and some pcv pipe but had to cut out a part of the lower airbox.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

Did it look anything like this?

Old 07-04-2006, 05:23 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks like something other than what he is talking about. And that is a really small picture.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
I was at a speed shop and they had a LS1 on an engine stand that was for sale, and for a industion/filter setup they just had a K&N cone on the end of the MAF.... How practical/effective would this?

IT seems like it could work fairly well i dont know about heat soak though. My friend took my blackwing lid so im in the market for a new lid and just the filter idea seems like it would work pretty good

anyone feel free to chime in

thanks
Yes it would work but it's nothing new or radical.

A filter is pretty mush a filter as long as it flows suffiecently and is located suitable.

K&N offer an induction kit as pictured above, Volant offer something similar. They are pricey, way too pricey IMO. You could make up a kit yourself if you wanted for far less $$$$

However they don't perform any better than a lid and paper OEM filter do.

Cool air is good for performance so if you lcan have air ducted to the filter from outside it is good, a cone filter will probably make it near impossibly to do without hassle.

Paper filter, lid, FTRA is all you need (stock MAF also unless you go SD tune) and stock bellows. They all work and will produce the same HP or more HP than setups costing 3 or 4 times the amount.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stillremains
Did it look anything like this?

no what i saw was like a 5 or 6 inch cone and the maf had been pushed up to the throttle body and the cone was off the maf
Old 07-04-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

i would advise you not to run what you saw at the shop. reason i say this is because MANY guys run that on their speed density (no maf, so the filter is directly on the tb) L98 3rd gens. in fact my old trans am was like that when i first got it. noticed a little bit better gas mileage and response when i made my own cai that got the car some cooler air. mounting it like the shop had it in a 4th gen will just get you hot air from right behind the radiator.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

However they don't perform any better than a lid and paper OEM filter do.
yes they do. ive run both and the K&N FIPK performed way better than the lid / paper filter. as soon as i put the FIPK in, the tires spun all the way through first, where before they didn't even chirp
Old 07-04-2006, 11:33 PM
12 Second Club

i know the k&n drop in filter for the lids work better than stock, when we dyno'ed i let my buddy use mine-had about 8k miles on it and he had a 2 week old paper filter and saw a solid 6rwhp/4rwtq gain on his car which is basically stock minus the lid and cutout...
Old 07-05-2006, 12:07 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
yes they do. ive run both and the K&N FIPK performed way better than the lid / paper filter. as soon as i put the FIPK in, the tires spun all the way through first, where before they didn't even chirp
Mine spins thru first when I run low on gas, or when the temp drops 10* outside. Other times it won't break 'em loose w/out a 5k dump. Mine "felt" faster after the TB bypass mod, it even feels faster when I wash it.

If the K&N kit actually had tons of gains over a lid setup, people would run them all over the place. The fact is that a lid and stock (or K&N) filter is offering so little restriction, that people with 550rwhp strokers still run them with no worries.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
That's hardly scientific proof......
Old 07-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Well, I went from a Whisper Lid to a FIPK and did notice it pulled alot better but only at really high RPMs... I cut out a big portion of the bottom plate they give ya w/ it to mount it on and ripped off the stupid plastic shrouds underneith the car to bring in alot more air... Seemed to help. Just my $.02.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:05 PM
MASS seller approved

i raced a ta and when he opened the hood it had two small cones and they wern't getto or anything looked real good the only bad thing was he was slower w an auto i had hypertech,thermo,slp air box,stock lid,and manifolds-
Old 07-08-2006, 05:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

hehe.. gotta love But-O-Meter results