Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers? ORY? CATS? CHECK ENGINE LIGHT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers? ORY? CATS? CHECK ENGINE LIGHT?

Alright Fellas... Here we go....Im new to this...

I want a good setup here, I already have a SLP Loud Mouth II Exhaust But I want A good set of LT Headers with a ORY (I think Ill either go with pacesetters or hooker) But When I install this Do I need the cats? One thing I do not want is the CHECK ENGLINE LIGHT to always be on.. Help me with a good setup.. with out the devil check engine light.. Tell me what I need... HELP!!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

buy 2 o2 simulator's for the rear o2s or get them tuned out If you really really dont want the check engine light, also buy bosch o2 sensor 13111 (for the front 2) and you wont have any problems for a long while.

the stock front sensors tend to get lazy with LT headers without being changed.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

OK... Ur kinda speeoking in tounge for me.. What about the cats? All I have to do is get simulator and Im good?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

haha sorry man I chill on these boards too much

o2 simulator's will fake your car into thinking that the cats are working in absolute perfect running condition (even tho they are entirely missing )

and with the long tube header install the front sensors tend to not heat up as well so that will throw a check engine light if you dont constantly drive in like 90 degree weather. So that's why the Boshe replacements will fix that, they have a better heating element. If you go into any parts store like pepboys, just ask for the bosch rear o2 sensors for a 2000 corvette (yes you read that right, you're putting rear vette sensors on the front sensors of your camaro)

send me an IM on AIM if you have any further questions (or PM if no AIM lol)
Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you get longtubes with provisions, (EGR and AIR), you will still get a Service Engine Soon light. With a 2000, here are the things that you need to cover to NOT get a SES light.

-EGR. You have to hook it up to your longtubes. You get race style headers, you will get a SES light no matter what you do and the only way to get rid of it is to get it "tuned out".

-AIR. Same as above. You get longtubes with AIR, you will not throw a code. You get race style headers, you will throw a code. Might not be soon, but within a week you'll see a SES light, but the EGR will throw it right away.

-Rear 02s. As stated get some simulators. If you are getting the EGR and AIR tuned out, may as well tune these out too.

If you get longtubes with EGR + AIR and get rear 02 sims, you shouldn't have a SES light. I got race style and just had all that **** tuned out.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Ok.. So what headers are out there that have all those hookups? and how did u tune urs out?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

What exactly do u mean by tuned out? How do i do this?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver UltraZ
Ok.. So what headers are out there that have all those hookups? and how did u tune urs out?

Originally Posted by z28_n_tx
Borrowed from his thread about headers.

DRIVERS SIDE:

PASSENGER SIDE:

See the two extra attachments on the passenger side and the single one on the drivers side? Those are provisions for EGR and AIR. "Race style" will have none of these. To hook up your factory stuff, you would need headers like this.

As for tuning, there are various full tuning suites. LS1Edit and HPTuners are the most common. EFIlive chimes in also. But really, these things are not for you. There are not even for me. If you don't know what you are doing, you'll screw up your car. I got them tuned out by a fella who works for a performance shop. Some PERFORMANCE shops in your area may be adept at doing these kind of things. I would look into some place that may deal with Corvettes. They will surely have some sort of LS1 editing program.

Here is a SPONSERED shop in Indiana that could help. Nose around and see what different shops that are sponsors here could do for you.

--> http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...php?service=14
Old 08-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Welcome to the boards...a good lesson in posting: Look at the Stickys ontop of the thread page.

for example, this post should answer most of your quesitons about EGR/AIR/02 sims. Read on on what they do, and what removing them from your car will do.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/500407-egr-air-o2-sensors-motor-tranny-mount-faq.html

By tuning out, you would have to go a speedshop (or another Ls1 owner) with a PCM editor to balnk out certian codes.

Read up and get back to us...

(edit: damn...only 3 posts to my name )
Old 08-10-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silver UltraZ
What exactly do u mean by tuned out? How do i do this?
Sent you a PM. I know your Dad, I can help you with this.