Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true dual x pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default true dual x pipe

what X pipe for a true dual is best? Where can I purchase one and take into consideration im on a budget!! Im going with a 2.5" true dual system and going with a X pipe and run the pipes over the axle. Do i really need an X pipe or just run the pipes straight out the back and over the axle?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
what X pipe for a true dual is best? Where can I purchase one and take into consideration im on a budget!! Im going with a 2.5" true dual system and going with a X pipe and run the pipes over the axle. Do i really need an X pipe or just run the pipes straight out the back and over the axle?

wow you starting to act like me when i made all the post about TDs

go to summit, get their O/R X pipe it is like +/- $100 i got mine from Magnaflow at cost from my buddy b/c they are a MagnaFlow dealer.

You will be happy with the 2.5" piping if going over the axel. 3" can be done, but you will need the Pan hard bar relocation kit. ($200)

If you do not have an X or H you will be running pretty much straight pipes. You will have no back presusre at all. Someone correct me if i am wrong, but do LS1s need back pressure? I am assuming that you have an LS1... so yes go with a x or h

BTW what is your plan for TDs????? meaning what mufflers you going to go with too?

if you have not looked yet, in the sticky for TDs FAQ on the bottom of pg 4 i posted my pics 3" under the axel

GL
Old 08-24-2006, 01:38 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dr. Gas seems to work perfect for me. I would not use anything else. There are a few universal x pipe kits raoming around out there, but as far a a good quality merge I like the Dr.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
If you do not have an X or H you will be running pretty much straight pipes. You will have no back presusre at all. Someone correct me if i am wrong, but do LS1s need back pressure?
You don't want/need backpressure, LS1 or otherwise, and an x or h pipe has no effect on backpressure. The idea is to maximize your exhaust velocity. You want the exhaust to stay hot and move quickly. Too large diameter tubing and the exhaust cools down and slows....too small diameter creates backpressure (bad) and slows the exhaust flow. It's a balancing act, and every car/setup is different.

Running and x or h merge on dual exhaust equalizes the exhaust pressure (not backpressure) between the two banks of the engine and helps to scavenge the exhaust gas (pull the exhaust out of the engine, if you will). A dual system w/out a merge will not scavenge the exhaust or equalize pressure and will sound like an old truck with glasspacks. The merge smooths the sound out.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:10 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
You don't want/need backpressure, LS1 or otherwise, and an x or h pipe has no effect on backpressure. The idea is to maximize your exhaust velocity. You want the exhaust to stay hot and move quickly. Too large diameter tubing and the exhaust cools down and slows....too small diameter creates backpressure (bad) and slows the exhaust flow. It's a balancing act, and every car/setup is different.

Running and x or h merge on dual exhaust equalizes the exhaust pressure (not backpressure) between the two banks of the engine and helps to scavenge the exhaust gas (pull the exhaust out of the engine, if you will). A dual system w/out a merge will not scavenge the exhaust or equalize pressure and will sound like an old truck with glasspacks. The merge smooths the sound out.
that was nicely put.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank ya
Old 08-24-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well that is why i asked for someone to chime in b/c i was not too sure. thanks