Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflex LS1-HR Anti Y-Pipe Banging Part Install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mufflex LS1-HR Anti Y-Pipe Banging Part Install?

I ordered the part LS1-HR from mufflex that fits around the ypipe and bolts in where the heat shield is on the floorboard and has two rubber pieces that keep it pressed down so the y doesnt slap the floorboard. Well the instructions they sent sucked and the pics arent very helpful. I cant figure out which way it goes. If im laying under the car feet towards the back and im looking right up at it how would it go on there? Anyone got any better pics?? It doesnt really look like it will fit unless i pry down on the Y pipe a couple inches. I dont know, anyone know anything about this thing?????
Old 09-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Launching!

To install mine I put the band clamp on the y-pipe and then mounted the body mount under the heat shield right by the drivers door. It's held on by a single 10 mm self-tapping screw I think. At this point, the exhaust rubbers are not on the body mount and the two pieces are not connected together. That was real important to make it a relatively easy install.

Then I used a pry bar and moved the y-pipe to get the clearance I needed between the pipe and where it was hitting the floor and my adj. torque arm. I got about an inch of clearance with the pry bar and then temporarily inserted an exhaust hanger rubber in the gap so I could remove the pry bar.

Then I install the Mufflex rubbers on the hanger that is bolted to the floor and rotated the y-pipe band clamp around so that I could insert the hanger rod of the band clamp through the rubbers. This was all done with the y-pipe being held at the clearance point I wanted with the other exhaust rubber between it and the floor. I then tightened up the y pipe band clamp and used the pry bar to move the y-pipe enought that I could pull the other exhaust rubber out from between the pipe and the floor.

It's worked great since. The biggest challenge was getting the band clamp around the y-pipe when it's on the car. You have to expand it a lot to get over the 3" pipe, then get the bolt back into the tighening clamp so you can reform the band around the y-pipe.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is a pretty good install man. I will prob end up fooling with it tmrw afternoon and if i have any questions maybe Ill PM you or something. Thanks boss!

Quick Reply: Mufflex LS1-HR Anti Y-Pipe Banging Part Install?